Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've got a 2016 Unlimited. No hitch currently and with summer approaching in the NE I'm looking to get the most effective hitch rigged up that will support a bike rack. While I'm at it, I'd love to kill two birds with one stone and get a rack situation that supports BOTH bikes and skis.

Couple questions:

1. What's the best/simplest/cost effective hitch? I will not be towing anything. I'd expect the hitch to be used for bikes, skis, and maybe that cargo thingy where I could stick coolers, etc.

2. Same question but for bike rack? And ski rack?

On 2., if there isn't a universal solution for dealing with both bikes and skis I'd rather not force fit a non ideal solution and just get the best for each and swap in and out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
For JKs check out the Draw Tite Hitch 76104 which has a longer hitch tube than the OEM or Curt hitches. This eliminates the need for extensions (which can rattle and reduce tongue weight capacity) to clear the spare tire. Otherwise the Curt or Quadratec hitches are good choices. Some owners prefer the shorter hitch tube for clearance when off road or to avoid shin bruises. Installation of these aftermarket hitches are super ez. Four bolts, washers and nuts with no muffler removal.

76104_3_250.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
A hitch kit sure would be perfect.

Hooking up the hitch looks simple no? No need for any "professional help?"

Also assume that this hitch can be used for other types of inserts.

Didn't think there was an all in one rack solution. Oh well.

Thanks!
If you know your way around basic hand tools, no "professional help" should be needed. Ratchet, socket and wrench should be all that's needed. I'm guessing the factory frame is pre-drilled for the receiver. Couldn't tell you for sure as mine came with one.

Yeah I don't think there's a all in one for these. But the board/ski rack in that link mounts to that bike rack.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you know your way around basic hand tools, no "professional help" should be needed. Ratchet, socket and wrench should be all that's needed. I'm guessing the factory frame is pre-drilled for the receiver. Couldn't tell you for sure as mine came with one.

Yeah I don't think there's a all in one for these. But the board/ski rack in that link mounts to that bike rack.
Perfect.

Searching through other threads it looks like others have been happy with the quadratec choice as well.

A couple of mentions of investigating the OEM hitch since it may fit more "snuggly" but I'm getting the message that that's not necessary. Also need to ensure that the holes are pre-drilled for installation. If not, that would be trouble.

One issue with the hitch mounted bike rack is you can't open the gate with the bikes on. I'm thinking that's probably not a real issue since when I'm done travelling, the first thing I do is take the bikes off, then unpack the rest from the back.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Perfect.

Searching through other threads it looks like others have been happy with the quadratec choice as well.

A couple of mentions of investigating the OEM hitch since it may fit more "snuggly" but I'm getting the message that that's not necessary. Also need to ensure that the holes are pre-drilled for installation. If not, that would be trouble.

One issue with the hitch mounted bike rack is you can't open the gate with the bikes on. I'm thinking that's probably not a real issue since when I'm done travelling, the first thing I do is take the bikes off, then unpack the rest from the back.
Yes that's what I've heard. The OEM is definitely snug. I just replaced my rear bumper a couple weeks ago, and I had to beat the OEM receiver off with a dead blow mallet!
I would bet the holes are already there. Can't imagine they don't pre-drill every frame prior to assembly.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The Jeep is pre-drilled for the receiver hitch.

It's one of the easiest installations ever. Just make sure you buy the right one. If you have the standard OEM bumper, get the one that already has the nuts welded to the back side. If you have the hard rock bumper, you need the one without the nuts welded on.

The whole installation, including the wiring harness for trailer lights, is less than an hour.

The only tools you need for the hitch are a wrench, ratchet with extension, appropriate size socket and a torque wrench. I want to say that it's a 19mm socket but I may be mis-remembering that. You also need a phillips screwdriver to take off the left rear brake light in order to plug in the wire harness.

If you don't have torque wrench, you can get a loaner from auto zone.

Having said that, For bikes, I use a Yakima rack that attaches to the spare tire carrier. It works great and there's no issue with opening the back with the bikes hanging off of it.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92025_0001_07.htm?gclid=CNuOw92vrtMCFVm5wAodS9kIGg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Jeep is pre-drilled for the receiver hitch.

It's one of the easiest installations ever. Just make sure you buy the right one. If you have the standard OEM bumper, get the one that already has the nuts welded to the back side. If you have the hard rock bumper, you need the one without the nuts welded on.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92025_0001_07.htm?gclid=CNuOw92vrtMCFVm5wAodS9kIGg
Ok, so here is a pic of my bumper and underneath. Looks like the holes are pre-drilled.

Based on this, would I be good to go with this quadratec?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12015_1009_07_QP2.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Any of the hitches for the standard bumper will work. The one that you linked included the receiver and a bike rack as a package deal. It will work fine. The hitch itself costs $75. so it's your call if you want to buy the package deal. You're essentially paying another $155 for the bike rack by buying it that way, which seems like a reasonable deal if you like that particular bike rack.

Here's a link to just the hitch portion sold by itself.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12015_1020_07.htm

FYI- the holes in your second picture are drain holes. The mounting holes for the receiver hitch are horizontal, but in that same cross member.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,507 Posts
Thanks guys! We can absolutely provide a discounted quote. For a discounted quote you can go about it 3 ways:

1) PM me with your first & last name, address, zip and the part numbers you would like to order. I'll reply back with a discounted quote if applicable. This takes 1-2 business days (or less) on average depending on PM volume.

2) E-mail my sales rep Rob at: [email protected] Tell him you're a Forum user and would like a discounted quote. He'll get that going for you. He typically responds within hours if it's Mon-Fri 8am-5pm Eastern.

3) Call my sales line at 1-800-745-2348. Tell them you're a Forum user and would like to place an order with your Forum discount. Their hours are Mon-Thurs 8am-Midnight, Friday 8am-9pm, Saturday 9am-5pm.

Whichever you prefer works for us.

Thanks & have a great day!

-Rick

·
Registered
104 Posts
For years, I have used one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/59508-Hitch-Mount-2-Bike-Carrier/dp/B004N96EKO

It mounts to either a 2" or 1-1/4" receiver and carry two bikes of any kind.

Any 2" hitch will work, however, with any hitch mounted accessory, clearance to the spare tire is always a concern and an extension hitch really places a significant load on the receiver tube and has an amplification effect to the shock that the rack is subject to.

My NV2 has been on the back of everything from a mustang, to a semi (Volvo 770) without dropping a bike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
1upusa.com makes nice aluminum "modular" style racks. You can get a cargo rack where you can add on bike hitches to the end of it. Pretty expensive, but super nice and high quality. If you do the combo route, you can also get a less expensive adapter to just mount the bike rack "add ons" without the cargo as well. No solution for skis though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, received my quadratec hitch along with the bike rack.

Really, really dumb question: I also received wiring that is to be installed through the left tail light -- do I need to deal with this if I'm not towing anything?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Ok, received my quadratec hitch along with the bike rack.

Really, really dumb question: I also received wiring that is to be installed through the left tail light -- do I need to deal with this if I'm not towing anything?

Thanks
Nope.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Your call, but it only takes a few minutes to install and it will be there in the future for you or the next owner if you ever sell your jeep.

To install it, all you have to do is unplug the connector to the brake light and plug the two ends into the new wiring.

If it were me, I'd rather have it installed than collecting dust on a shelf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts