Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a cabin tent that will fit two cots plus have some room between them. My cots are 84" long and 34" wide. Ideally I think I would need a tent at least 8' x 8'. I also need to be able to stand up in it at least in the middle so something at least 6' 6" tall (I'm only 6' 2").

The catch is it needs to be able to be put up easily enough by one person. My wife won't always be with me, so I need something I can put up by myself. I like the look of the Kodiak canvas tents or the Eureka Copper Canyon, though the Eureka doesn't look like one person could set it up.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I'll say one thing about the Eureka! Tents. I purchased one in the mid 80's that still works and seals out rain. I woke up one morning after a heavy rain and could feel the pool of water under the tent at one end. It was completely dry inside, no leaks anywhere.

I have another tent that is a 6 man tent I use today when I can find room to set it up. It has room for a queen size air mattress that almost touches on the sides. So if it is raining there can be condensation that makes any bedding damp. No direct moisture from outside, just the condensation I think that runs down inside.

It goes up quickly with one person. I would believe that most tents today are meant to be easily set up by one person.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I highly recommend Kodiak Canvas tents. I own two: a one-person swag tent and a two-person 8x6.5 Flex Bow VR that is still relatively new.

The 8x6.5 Flex Bow isn't as tall as the larger versions, only about 4', so it is a kneeler rather than a stander. Nonetheless it is quickly becoming my favorite tent. (It is apparently also a favorite at Burning Man.)

The 9x8 version (P/N 6098) might be a good choice for a "stander" because it measures 6' tall.

I purchased my Flex Bow tent from Sean at https://www.competitiveedgeproducts.com/. Better prices; ships just as fast; unequivocal warranty service directly from Kodiak Canvas without having to go through the dealer. Tell Sean I referred you.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I am looking for a cabin tent that will fit two cots plus have some room between them. My cots are 84" long and 34" wide. Ideally I think I would need a tent at least 8' x 8'. I also need to be able to stand up in it at least in the middle so something at least 6' 6" tall (I'm only 6' 2").

The catch is it needs to be able to be put up easily enough by one person. My wife won't always be with me, so I need something I can put up by myself. I like the look of the Kodiak canvas tents or the Eureka Copper Canyon, though the Eureka doesn't look like one person could set it up.
Here is what I have; One person can set it up, but it is a little more work than with two. Also have to be able to pack an Easy Up awning. BUT for these downsides, you get a 10'x10' room with 8' of overhead clearance.

I have three of them...when I camp (glamp?) I can setup up to six awnings with three tents..kind of a 'modular' approach which gives me a lot of flexibility :)

Standing Room Tents

Ozark Trail (Walmart Version)

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a look at the 10 x 10 Kodiak flex bow canvas tent.
If you have the room an OZ tent RV5 would be easier to put up by yourself.
That was the tent that was at the top of my list but I ended up going with the Gazelle T4 tent. Pops up and down in just a minute. But it is a long package when packed. Will have to put my back seat down and rest it on the back of my arm rest to make it fit. It is a little small for 2 large cots but I hope to not hang out in it any more than I have to. Also got the smaller Gazelle screen house to get out of the weather and bugs. Hope to test out my equipment at the OBX in September.

·
Registered
520 Posts
That was the tent that was at the top of my list but I ended up going with the Gazelle T4 tent. Pops up and down in just a minute. But it is a long package when packed. Will have to put my back seat down and rest it on the back of my arm rest to make it fit. It is a little small for 2 large cots but I hope to not hang out in it any more than I have to. Also got the smaller Gazelle screen house to get out of the weather and bugs. Hope to test out my equipment at the OBX in September.
I have been looking at the Gazelle T4 as well. I'm wondering, would you be able to fit it behind the drivers seat if its angled upwards towards the back of the jeep? Maybe tied up to the side of the rear roll bar? When I measure it seems like it could fit, but maybe not.
Are you still happy with your purchase?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Re: fitting Gazelle tent in a jeep

Would the Gazelle T3 work? It is a shorter package, 58" when rolled up.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I can no longer edit Post #4, which referenced my recent purchase of a Kodiak Canvas 8x6.5 Flex Bow tent.

Here is a photo of the actual tent set up on its maiden trip, with jeep in background to provide scale.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
If you are not in a hurry check out Southern Cross Tents in Australia.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Re: fitting Gazelle tent in a jeep

Would the Gazelle T3 work? It is a shorter package, 58" when rolled up.
The T3 would fit fine, but I really would like the T4. I would like to be able to have two big cots in there and a table for the heater or A queen air mattress and a small table.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Might be great, but thats a completely different price range. I don't camp enough to justify it
They are expensive and made to last a lifetime and handmade in Australia. It's one of the few tents that meet all your requirements of two large cots, height, easy setup. You are definitely going to want something bigger than 8'x8' for two large cots that you described, at least 10' x 10' I would think. The Springbar/Kodiak type might meet your needs. Not quite as easy setup as some of the others though and made in China (but pretty decent anyway from what I have heard).

·
Registered
520 Posts
They are expensive and made to last a lifetime and handmade in Australia. It's one of the few tents that meet all your requirements of two large cots, height, easy setup. You are definitely going to want something bigger than 8'x8' for two large cots that you described, at least 10' x 10' I would think. The Springbar/Kodiak type might meet your needs. Not quite as easy setup as some of the others though and made in China (but pretty decent anyway from what I have heard).
I probably confused things when I said large cots. 2 standard sized cots would be fine.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The T3 would fit fine, but I really would like the T4. I would like to be able to have two big cots in there and a table for the heater or A queen air mattress and a small table.
I thought I could get 2 cots and a table in the Gazelle and I cannot. The cots fit, but the table wouldn't even come close. Push the cots to the center of the tent and you have just enough room to stand beside it and get out the door. The other person has to go out the door on the other corner of the tent.

As for fit, I have a Dometic fridge so I can't run the tent corner to corner in the Jeep but it seems like that should work. It just does sit on the back of the arm rest for me, so it should fit behind the seat if you run it at an angle.

As for the tent, I really like it. Have used it for a 5 day trip and a 2 day trip and it works great.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I thought I could get 2 cots and a table in the Gazelle and I cannot. The cots fit, but the table wouldn't even come close. Push the cots to the center of the tent and you have just enough room to stand beside it and get out the door. The other person has to go out the door on the other corner of the tent.

As for fit, I have a Dometic fridge so I can't run the tent corner to corner in the Jeep but it seems like that should work. It just does sit on the back of the arm rest for me, so it should fit behind the seat if you run it at an angle.

As for the tent, I really like it. Have used it for a 5 day trip and a 2 day trip and it works great.
When I talk about an angle, i'm talking vertically. Would it not fit if you keep it to one side of the jeep, but lift up the rear? Would just prefer to only put down the single seat in the back and not the double.

Is the footprint actually 90x90? or slightly smaller?
The sleeping area for my cots is 75x30 and my table for my heater is 24x18, so in theory it should fit, but not if the floor is much smaller.

·
Registered
863 Posts
. . . The Springbar/Kodiak type might meet your needs. Not quite as easy setup as some of the others though and made in China (but pretty decent anyway from what I have heard).
Kodiak Canvas tents are indeed high quality. The design is American, the company is American, but yes, the tents are manufactured in China to allow a lower price point. So are many of the Australian canvas tents by the way.

Springbar Tents are designed and sewn in Salt Lake City. The Springbar line is considered the original for that type tent and pole arrangement and are very high quality. Kodiak Canvas "flexbow" tents are an adaptation, but different enough in design not to be copies. (Jack Kirkham at Springbar might disagree but I own products from both companies and that is my opinion.) Springbar relocated its facilities during the summer of 2019 and may not be back to full production yet. It would be worth a phone call - they are nice people.

You can't go wrong with products from either company. Choose the one with the features that most appeal to you.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Kodiak Canvas tents are indeed high quality. The design is American, the company is American, but yes, the tents are manufactured in China to allow a lower price point. So are many of the Australian canvas tents by the way.

Springbar Tents are designed and sewn in Salt Lake City. The Springbar line is considered the original for that type tent and pole arrangement and are very high quality. Kodiak Canvas "flexbow" tents are an adaptation, but different enough in design not to be copies. (Jack Kirkham at Springbar might disagree but I own products from both companies and that is my opinion.) Springbar relocated its facilities during the summer of 2019 and may not be back to full production yet. It would be worth a phone call - they are nice people.

You can't go wrong with products from either company. Choose the one with the features that most appeal to you.
Just to clarify, the common Springbar Highline tents sold through dealers are made in China. You can still get a "made in America" Springbar, just need to call and order directly from the factory. It is going to be impossible to find a quality made in USA or Australia tent for less than ~ $1200. There are some good quality tents made in China and those will be at the $500 to $800 price point. I have some upcoming trips and I really wanted a Southern Cross tent, but it was going to take at least 5 weeks to get one, probably longer if there are customs delays. So instead I went with the Oztent which is made in China, but hopefully it is up for the task. Next year I may try to buy a Southern Cross.

·
Registered
520 Posts
One of my friends already has the T4, so I borrowed his tent to test and it actually does fit behind the drivers seat if you lift the rear end up. You can secure it to the roll bar with a strap. We could even make it fit by laying it flat down behind the passengers seat by putting the seat slightly forward. Still with plenty of room or for the passenger. No need to angle it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts