Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have read several threads. I went to the stealer today to get a build sheet of exactly what my wife has bought. We have the 30/35 axles with 3 speed 32RH tranny. 3.07 ratio. She has a Camaro SS and I have a Ram dually with diesel. Needless to say this 2000 Wrangler lags on low end. What is the best I can do as far as replacing gears in the stock axles? We live in flat land and she will never rock crawl. There are no rocks here. Mud or snow in a bad winter will be all she would encounter. I would like a medium between gas mileage and power. If it was me I would lean to power. Any help for recommendations appreciated. From what I have seen 4.56?

·
Registered
199 Posts
What size tires do you plan to run? The Dana 35 isn't really good for anything over a 33-inch tire. The 32RH is a strong, reliable transmission, but with no overdrive, 4.10 gears work best for 33-inch tires and 3.73 gears work best for 31-inch tires. You can run 31's with no lift at all. You will need to lift the Jeep at least 3 inches to clear 33's, even for limited off-roading. Re-gearing is expensive, so a lot of people just live with the 3.07 gears for a Jeep that is mostly street-driven with tires no larger than 31's. Once you are sure how you plan to use the Jeep and what your budget will be for mods, you can research what will best meet your needs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size tires do you plan to run? The Dana 35 isn't really good for anything over a 33-inch tire. The 32RH is a strong, reliable transmission, but with no overdrive, 4.10 gears work best for 33-inch tires and 3.73 gears work best for 31-inch tires. You can run 31's with no lift at all. You will need to lift the Jeep at least 3 inches to clear 33's, even for limited off-roading. Re-gearing is expensive, so a lot of people just live with the 3.07 gears for a Jeep that is mostly street-driven with tires no larger than 31's. Once you are sure how you plan to use the Jeep and what your budget will be for mods, you can research what will best meet your needs.
My apologies. I should have specified more. It currently has a 3" lift with 33" tires. I will never go any larger than the current set up for her. She will mostly drive to work during bad weather on flat terrain. Worst case, me driving in flat mud or her in snow.

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
With 3spd auto and 33 and I'll assume 4.0 straight six not a four banger I also recommend 4.11 unless you don't plan to drive on highway basically ever then 4.56 becomes more viable

You will never have the power of the dodge oil burner or the acell of a sports car or very great gas mileage that it not what a jeep is designed for

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
i think with the 3spd 4.56 is what you want.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With 3spd auto and 33 and I'll assume 4.0 straight six not a four banger I also recommend 4.11 unless you don't plan to drive on highway basically ever then 4.56 becomes more viable

You will never have the power of the dodge oil burner or the acell of a sports car or very great gas mileage that it not what a jeep is designed for
Yes, again my oversight. It is a straight 6. Not looking to get what I got out of the other cars, just looking to improve the low end. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have already explained to her it will never get the power of her Camaro but I feel a lot a better with her driving this with bad weather and deer. Last deer was $1000 per headlight on her Carmaro.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Your situation is identical to mine. I will be re-gearing to 4.10 soon in my 2000 Sport (2000 is a great year model - we have two of them in the family). You already have a Camaro for speed and handling and a Ram diesel for power, so I hope you enjoy the Jeep for all of it's many capabilities. You may become like many of us on here, finding that you drive your Jeep more and more and your other vehicles less. TJs are awesome vehicles.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Welcome to the forum Robbie13. First, we need to know what size tire you intend on running. I too have a 2000 with 3.07s and the 32RH and live in South GA. Ran the Jeep with 32s with no problem for almost 4 years but recently went to 33x10.50s and have crossed the threshold for decent performance out of the 4.0. TJ Michaels comments about the 32RH and the D35 are valid. Some folks on here will refer you to "the charts" and I agree that for most with a manual overdrive, the charts will get you pretty close. For those of us with no OD, it might cause you to gear too low so just going to give you some info to dwell on that should help you in making your decision.

My Jeep with 33x10.5 BFG ATs turns 1750 at 55 in high gear, torque converter locked. True diameter on my tires is 32.5" and the rolling radius with 24 psi in the rear is 16". Again, this is with 3.07 gears. Most charts would suggest 4.10 to be the optimum gear and depending on how you drive, it may be. It will definitely boost out of the hole performance but still won't be like the Camaro. So here goes (for 33" nominal rated tires).

3.73 gears 4.10 gears
55 mph 2126 rpm 55 mph 2337 rpm
60 mph 2319 rpm 60 mph 2550 rpm
70 mph 2705 rpm 70 mph 2974 rpm

So my choice for flat lands and potential interstate driving, 3.73 is the better "compromise" gear. If you don't drive high speeds or live in the mountains, 4.10 is the better gear IMO. 3.55s would restore me to better than stock with the original 30" tires but my plans are to go with 3.73s. In low range, the 3.73s and 4.10s will work well. I wouldn't go 4.56 unless you run 35s, but as TJMichael said, not a good idea on the D35.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I maintain all my vehicles and bikes myself. I have found that the people that do the same are the best source of info. I'm not old (I think). My wife drives very responsibly and I know she we will never drive it crazy. My main concern is her safety and reliability. That's why I don't ever drive her Camaro! Lol. I'm peculiar about my bikes and vehicles. Just seems to me on the low end her Jeep is under powered. I know its from the tires as I have installed several lift kits on 3/4 ton trucks and up. Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback and advice. Jeep is a new creature to me since my '86 and it's good to get advice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forum Robbie13. First, we need to know what size tire you intend on running. I too have a 2000 with 3.07s and the 32RH and live in South GA. Ran the Jeep with 32s with no problem for almost 4 years but recently went to 33x10.50s and have crossed the threshold for decent performance out of the 4.0. TJ Michaels comments about the 32RH and the D35 are valid. Some folks on here will refer you to "the charts" and I agree that for most with a manual overdrive, the charts will get you pretty close. For those of us with no OD, it might cause you to gear too low so just going to give you some info to dwell on that should help you in making your decision.

My Jeep with 33x10.5 BFG ATs turns 1750 at 55 in high gear, torque converter locked. True diameter on my tires is 32.5" and the rolling radius with 24 psi in the rear is 16". Again, this is with 3.07 gears. Most charts would suggest 4.10 to be the optimum gear and depending on how you drive, it may be. It will definitely boost out of the hole performance but still won't be like the Camaro. So here goes (for 33" nominal rated tires).

3.73 gears 4.10 gears
55 mph 2126 rpm 55 mph 2337 rpm
60 mph 2319 rpm 60 mph 2550 rpm
70 mph 2705 rpm 70 mph 2974 rpm

So my choice for flat lands and potential interstate driving, 3.73 is the better "compromise" gear. If you don't drive high speeds or live in the mountains, 4.10 is the better gear IMO. 3.55s would restore me to better than stock with the original 30" tires but my plans are to go with 3.73s. In low range, the 3.73s and 4.10s will work well. I wouldn't go 4.56 unless you run 35s, but as TJMichael said, not a good idea on the D35.
Thank you! That helped immensely.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
For your 3-speed automatic and 33" tires, you want the 4.10 ratio. I wouldn't consider 3.73 to be a "compromise" gear ratio at all, 3.73 is the more commonly provided factory ratio that came with the 3-speed and 30" size tires from '98 to '02.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I have already decided on the 4.10. This is my wife's part time driver and I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Best of luck with your future plans for the Jeep, Robbie13. I hope you and your wife really enjoy it and get great service out of it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I may be ordering these:
4WS.COM Jeep Wrangler JK Gear and Install Kit Package (Front/Rear)

Does anyone have any experience with this company/kit? I have changed the oil, replaced drivers side mirror and changed plugs today. I have no idea how it was still running. The plugs were shot. I think they may have been the originals. Tomorrow i plan on dropping the trans pan and replacing filter/fluid. It has a small leak there and I have a new gasket as well. I have diff fluid too but may wait until i order a 4.10 kit.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Robbie13. The link to the gear kit you posted is appears to be for a JK (2007 and newer) so it won't work. I believe most of the JKs have D44 rears and D30 fronts unless they are Rubicons but I am no expert on the JKs. Also, the TJ uses a short pinion D30 in the front (not sure about the JKs) but the earlier D30 front Jeeps use a standard pinion so the gears are not interchangable. Also, in going from the 3.07s, you will need new carriers for the front and rear. The D30 break is between 3.54/3.55 to 3.73 and the D35 break is between 3.07 and 3.55 on the rear.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
No problem, we all have 'off' days. That should do it. I know they are calling it a RC kit but I think RC uses Motive Gears. For many years, Motive was my gear of choice because they set up so easy and I have installed more of them by far than any other brand. Consequently, Motive is the only gear set I have had problems with and that was 1 set for an 8.5 GMC Truck rear late last year that just would not set up. I don't think the gears were ever lapped but long story short, Motive gave me the run around but Summit Racing where my brother in law purchased them refunded his money after they looked at the gears. Most of their gears used to be made in Italy but I did some research on the net and apparently they have been purchased by another firm and have had some quality issues, but mostly with gears manufactured in China. If you look on the Mustang forums, Motive makes some of the Ford Motorsports gears for 8.8s and the gennie Ford gears were OK but the Motive Gear units started having problems. I don't know if you can get country of origin when you order but would be nice if you can. I like them so well I will give them one more chance but if I ever have trouble with another set, I'll be through. The last set I bought was from East Coast Gear. They run about $140 per axle plus another $100 per axle for the bearing set so the price on this kit is about right. I don't recall if you have limited slip in the rear or not but if you have an open rear, before you order carriers, I would disassemble the rear and inspect the spider and side gears and the carrier. The spider sets are notorious for pitting really bad to the point of failure. Also the carriers are known to wear severely where the carrier bearings are pressed on the hub bores and the cross pin bores are bad about elongating. If you have to replace the entire carrier, a stock Dana 35 Trac Loc is a better replacement and a little stronger (or at least less prone to failure from what I have seen) than the open carriers and you can find them for about $220 to $270 on the net. If you don't mind spending a little extra, a Detroit True Trac would be nice in the rear and will run you about $450. Still limited slip but it's an all gear design. For the front, just a D30 bare case and you can put your existing internals in it (should only run about $80) of if you want an inexpensive locker, go ahead and spend another $260 and put an Aussie inside the new front case. Most folks don't recommend the non selectable locker if you drive in snow though so don't know if that would be an issue where you live in KY or not. Good luck with!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem, we all have 'off' days. That should do it. I know they are calling it a RC kit but I think RC uses Motive Gears. For many years, Motive was my gear of choice because they set up so easy and I have installed more of them by far than any other brand. Consequently, Motive is the only gear set I have had problems with and that was 1 set for an 8.5 GMC Truck rear late last year that just would not set up. I don't think the gears were ever lapped but long story short, Motive gave me the run around but Summit Racing where my brother in law purchased them refunded his money after they looked at the gears. Most of their gears used to be made in Italy but I did some research on the net and apparently they have been purchased by another firm and have had some quality issues, but mostly with gears manufactured in China. If you look on the Mustang forums, Motive makes some of the Ford Motorsports gears for 8.8s and the gennie Ford gears were OK but the Motive Gear units started having problems. I don't know if you can get country of origin when you order but would be nice if you can. I like them so well I will give them one more chance but if I ever have trouble with another set, I'll be through. The last set I bought was from East Coast Gear. They run about $140 per axle plus another $100 per axle for the bearing set so the price on this kit is about right. I don't recall if you have limited slip in the rear or not but if you have an open rear, before you order carriers, I would disassemble the rear and inspect the spider and side gears and the carrier. The spider sets are notorious for pitting really bad to the point of failure. Also the carriers are known to wear severely where the carrier bearings are pressed on the hub bores and the cross pin bores are bad about elongating. If you have to replace the entire carrier, a stock Dana 35 Trac Loc is a better replacement and a little stronger (or at least less prone to failure from what I have seen) than the open carriers and you can find them for about $220 to $270 on the net. If you don't mind spending a little extra, a Detroit True Trac would be nice in the rear and will run you about $450. Still limited slip but it's an all gear design. For the front, just a D30 bare case and you can put your existing internals in it (should only run about $80) of if you want an inexpensive locker, go ahead and spend another $260 and put an Aussie inside the new front case. Most folks don't recommend the non selectable locker if you drive in snow though so don't know if that would be an issue where you live in KY or not. Good luck with!
All I can say is thanks! I don't mind spending a little extra $ for higher quality parts. This is my wife's part time ride. She will never be rock crawling or doing anything other than snow or maybe riding down a field path. Nothing extreme. My main concern's are getting rid of the stock 3.07's and better gas mileage with the 33's. I have a Ram dually diesel for pulling. Just want something reliable for her. Again thanks for your input.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts