Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Link from a recent thread:

Star Fab Smart Door Stops

I bought the Armadillo door stops from Quadratec. They don't open the doors as wide, and only work on the front doors, but you don't have to drill tunnels into your doors to mount em, either. The Armadillos screw into existing holes with existing hardware, and unhooking them for door removal takes about 5 seconds per door.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Link from a recent thread:

Star Fab Smart Door Stops

I bought the Armadillo door stops from Quadratec. They don't open the doors as wide, and only work on the front doors, but you don't have to drill tunnels into your doors to mount em, either. The Armadillos screw into existing holes with existing hardware, and unhooking them for door removal takes about 5 seconds per door.
Do the Armadillo stops not open wide enough for the rears or something? Quadratec says they're for JK and the Unlimited though it only sells them in pairs. I just assumed you would buy a second set for the rear doors.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I bought two initially just to see if they worked well. Not sure if they'll fit on the rear doors or not. The straps for the rear are attached inside the door trim and the pillar inside the Jeep...not sure if the Armadillos would bind up on something there or not.

I'll take the covers off in the next day or two and see if one of mine will mount on the rear door, and let you know.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I have the smart door stops installed on my JKU and now my doors work like the doors on my car. I open the door and it stays open until I close it. If you decide to remove your doors, in addition to the normal door removal steps, you need to remove two 10mm nuts on the smart door bracket.

I think they work great, but if you don't like drilling holes in your Jeep, you shouldn't get these brackets. You need to drill a big hole in each door in addition to a couple of smaller holes to get the brackets installed.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Do the Armadillo stops not open wide enough for the rears or something? Quadratec says they're for JK and the Unlimited though it only sells them in pairs. I just assumed you would buy a second set for the rear doors.
Checked em this morning. It looks like I could install them on the rear doors of my Jeep (a '12, and I assume the '11 is the same), but I'd have to widen the notch where the door strap and electrical cable enter the b-pillar. The sliding assembly on the Armadillos is too bulky to fit, otherwise.

Personally, I'm not gonna put a set on my rear doors.

JMO, but if you want a more permanent, better integrated solution I'd get the Star Fabs (see link in my post above.) But only if you don't mind drilling a mineshaft into your doors.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
screw the rear doors. i think its a waste of money. as far as drilling the doors. i dont care. they are replaceable arent they? Sounds like the smart kit is what ill be getting.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The Smart Door kit is really good quality, and you have exactly the right attitude...drill 'em! the templates they provide are spot-on, so it would be really hard to screw up the install.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Jimbox,

Did you have any trouble mounting the piece in the footwell? I just received my set and it looks like the plastic moulding from the floor needs to be shaved before the Armadillo bracket can be mounted properly.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D No, my sill brackets fit right in place, but

Jimbox,

Did you have any trouble mounting the piece in the footwell? I just received my set and it looks like the plastic moulding from the floor needs to be shaved before the Armadillo bracket can be mounted properly.
I can see that each jeep may have a little interference problems, although that moulding" is pretty flexable and should --SLIP-OUTTA THE WAY, BUT

I'm sure it's trimable !!

Don't forget to put a TINY dab of grease on that chrome shaft--makes it smooth as "SNOT":rofl:

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Jimbox,

Huh? They should mount in place of the existing door strap bracket on the side panel of your wheel well. Took about 5 minutes to install each one.

Here's a photo (door strap is unattached for the pic):

View attachment 99651

·
Registered
107 Posts
JIMBOX & kbwwolf, the foot/wheel well piece on mine is hitting the upper edge of the plastic moulding, not sure if it is because it's an 2012 or just production variances. This is on the passenger side, I haven't looked at the driver side because I have the dead pedal installed.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
That's weird. That photo of mine above is a '12, and it clears fine. Any way to take a photo of the placement of it (even if you just hold it in place)? I can't picture where it would be hitting.

Only thing I can think is that your door strap bracket is mounted way lower than mine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's weird. That photo of mine above is a '12, and it clears fine. Any way to take a photo of the placement of it (even if you just hold it in place)? I can't picture where it would be hitting.

Only thing I can think is that your door strap bracket is mounted way lower than mine.
Well, false alarm after all though it was tight. It was only off by not even 1/8", so once I tighten down the bolts and that pushed down the molding slightly, everything was seated without breaking out the dremel, will do the driver side tomorrow, may need to shim some because the factory hook is thinner than the Amardillo's, and I have the dead pedal in. Thanks for the help!

On a side note, I am now paranoid to drive my daughter's white Arctic, everything is stock on her truck, except for the Arctic tire cover and a storm trooper sticker she threw on the back window. 2 different neighbors of ours commented how "cute" the truck was, give me a break, cute?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts