Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first TJ (98) and she doesn't have doors or a top. What should this rookie do? It had full doors, do I have to purchase full doors or can I get by with half doors. What soft top should I purchase?

·
Registered
750 Posts
half doors or full doors will work, it is up to you. Full doors are a little hard to come by for a reasonable price. I've had both 1/2 and full doors. Full doors make a difference with hwy driving(quieter), but on the trails, I take the doors off anways. 1/2 doors are lighter and easier to remove.

For the soft top, you may have a few options. You can go frameless or one with the frame. Did the jeep come with the soft top frame?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,384 Posts
Be wary of the soft top frame you purchase. Most aftermarket soft top frames are kludges that are more Erector Set than an easy to work mechanism. The OE mechanism, which is the best and easiest to erect and take down design, was protected by patent for years so it has just now been brought out in the aftermarket by Bestop.

So my recommendation is to either buy a complete used FACTORY OE (original equipment) soft top and top support mechanism or Bestop's new top that includes the better OE-style mechanism design. It's called the Supertop NX which I am currently running on my TJ, it's a great top and it includes everything including the door surrounds which are the door jambs for the upper windows.

Click on Bestop-Supertop NX

Just avoid the other aftermarket top support mechanisms that are not like the OE style, they are a PITA to install and use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a rampage bowless top I love it its easy to remove if u don't want to take it clear off u can fold the windows into the top and it add a cool look to ur jeep when u have all the windows on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts