Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had front end alignment on my 2014 JKU & want to check to make sure torgue setting are right on the two 15mm nuts that secure the Drag Link Turn Buckle & the one 15mm nut that secures the Tie Rod Clamp.
Can anyone provide a link to these two torque specs?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Talked to the alignment shop today & they told me they did not torque the Nuts because they have been doing it so long they can tell when they are tight enough (scary)
Could you explain why even though all the Bolts (12mm) with 15mm wrench size Nuts) are all the same size on both the Drag Link Turn Buckle & the Tie Rod Clamp, why would the torque specs be different.
Also did you find these torque specs on line> If so, where?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Thanks. Talked to the alignment shop today & they told me they did not torque the Nuts because they have been doing it so long they can tell when they are tight enough (scary) Could you explain why even though all the Bolts (12mm) with 15mm wrench size Nuts) are all the same size on both the Drag Link Turn Buckle & the Tie Rod Clamp, why would the torque specs be different. Also did you find these torque specs on line> If so, where?
I wouldn't put too much worry into it. I just give them a good tightening and call it good. You're right though, 25 seems light on the turnbuckle and I willing to bet I had more then that on mine.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-torque-settings

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
That's not scary at all. Don't put too much thought into non-critical fasteners such as those. Snug + some is fine. The ONLY bolts I've ever put a torque wrench on are my TJ's pressure plate, cylinder head, and ring gear bolts. That's it. That includes the dozens of Jeeps I've worked on and none of those people have ever been anything but very pleased with my work and continue to come back.

I work with fasteners every day and I'm as anal a person as you'll find on this forum. You'd be amazed at how 'calibrated' your body can become to proper torque range for bolts in different applications. Don't get hellbent on "torque specs." 99% of the time they aren't critical and if you torque them blindly, you'll be damn close.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts