Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Please take a look at these photos and let me know your opinion of the condition and repair-ability of this rust. I'm also assuming the tape on the window means I'll need a new top. This is a vehicle I may purchase. Thanks in advance.

1st pic - body rust - fender, rocker and lt quarter. The damage is evident, but should I be concerned about hidden damage to the interior?

2nd Pic - frame. I'm looking at the area where the spring is attached. Just flaking surface rust, or something more serious?

·
Registered
593 Posts
The body can always be patched/fixed.... It's the frame you really need to pay close attention to... That frame looks very similar to how mine did and i discovered rot holes.My trans belly pan also was rotted.. Pay close attention to the rear of the frame near the bumper and spring mount location.. Here's what i found on mine and i ended up swapping in a new frame because of it...

·
Registered
332 Posts
How much is the owner asking for it?
I'd estimate it'll cost about 3 thousand to fix the rust in just those two pictures. That's if you do most of the work yourself. That rocker panel should be replaced since it's rusted completely through. The rear corner panel might be salvageable. You need to get in that Jeep and pull back the carpet to make sure the flooring is not rusted out also.
As for the frame, if that's the only rust then it's not that big of a deal. A replacement frame section can be obtained easily and welded in. If there is more rust, then you are possibly looking at an entire frame replacement which will get expensive fast.
You may not need to replace the entire soft top either. Looks like the window zipper may be broken (hence the duct tape). Replacement window sections can be found easily or the zipper can be replaced by any good upholstery shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying. It is a 95 and the owner is asking $3500 obo. The rust to the body on the right side is comparable to the left. I'm going to post a few more photos and get your opinion. I appreciate your time.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
For that amount of rust, $3500 is too much...best offer, $2500. Most of the time when the rust comes through where the JEEP letters are, the floor pans are wasted too. There is a gusset in that section that is for structural support, and if it is rusting away, then it is just the beginning for more rot. Your gonna have a lot of body work to do on that rig, but if it's what you are set on, then work on the price with the guy. I would walk away from the unit because of the amount of rust, but I work at a body shop, and hate rust work anyhow...just my opinion. I would look for something a little "cleaner".

·
Registered
332 Posts
3500 seems a reasonable price if it's a 6cly and you don't mind doing some of the work yourself. What Engine and mileage?
I am partial to the YJ and I don't see anything here that can't be saved. Though I wouldn't recommend buying this for immediate use because it will need significant down time to fix.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I would keep looking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts