Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching different leveling kits for the JKUR on this site. My intention is to do the following:

- Install a leveling kit
- Upgrade the front (and possibly rear) bumper
- Replace the stock 32's with 33's when they are worn
- Keep the stock Rubicon rims

Specifically, I'm looking at the two TeraFlex leveling kits. One with spacers and the other with springs. Being a complete noob, this has left me with a few questions:

Am I correct assuming that the spring kit will increase the travel distance of the shocks and therefore alter the geometry of the suspension more (specifically at certain points of flex)?

If so, would the increased travel make running wheel spacers "more necessary" with the spring kit as opposed to the spacer kit?

Ultimately, I'm wondering if I would have to add wheel spacers under the following scenarios:

- spacer kit with 32's on stock rims
- spacer kit with 33's on stock rims
- spring kit with 32's on stock rims
- spring kit with 33's on stock rims

My guess is no, yes, yes, yes. But it is purely a guess.

I've also read that the ride changes more when the factory springs are swapped out. Does this mean the TeraFlex springs provide a stiffer ride compared to the stock Rubicon springs?

Should the fact that I want to replace the stock plastic bumpers push me toward springs versus spacers?

A million thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
One question before I add my own view on what you're doing:

You've not said the amount of lift or boost you're wanting to achieve.

Granted you did say Teraflex leveling kit.. but in my opinion, and we're doing nearly the same as you on this by starting out with all basic stuff and gradually working up to steel bumpers.. We've decided it best to add the coils with better shocks without actually lifting the jeep. The reason being is that in our community, our garage is the only place the jeep can be parked. Thus the height of the jeep can not exceed more than 2'' above and beyond our current height.

However, either way you go, you can achieve the same result. If you like the jeep current stance and handling.. then spacers would be all thats needed. We're going with the factory hard lift which is nothing more than adjusting the coils and shocks accordingly. Matter fact, you could even end up doing both the hard and soft lift to achieve the same results.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've spent a lot of time in the pic threads. I personally find the jeeps with the leveling kit (2" raise in front/1" raise in the rear) look the best. I also like the 2.5" lifts but do not desire making this mod currently.

Therefore, my objective is to achieve this look. Functionally, I live in Lowsyanna which is flat as a pancake. Off road use will be relatively infrequent.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've spent a lot of time in the pic threads. I personally find the jeeps with the leveling kit (2" raise in front/1" raise in the rear) look the best. I also like the 2.5" lifts but do not desire making this mod currently.

Therefore, my objective is to achieve this look. Functionally, I live in Lowsyanna which is flat as a pancake. Off road use will be relatively infrequent.

Thanks again,
I have the Teraflex spring leveling kit on my JKU. More than happy with it, If your adding a steel front bumper and maybe a winch the springs are stiff enough to keep the front end from sagging.
I added some Fox shocks at the same time and the difference is very noticeable.
I am very happy with the look and the ride.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well @Ruddy Duck as you've commented, we've discovered that upon the delivery of our wrangler the coils were mismatched (in my opinion) Mismatched only to the degree that our jeep doesn't have the pronounce rake other jeeps have.. the jeep's stance is more level as you've been seeking with your jeep. In order to achieve this stance and I've suggested above.. the coil and or spaced could be mismatched as well.

The first place one need to start is to see coils and shocks are installed on your jeep.. let's start with the shocks first because there's only three versions (mopar/jeep)

• Normal duty
  • Heavy duty
  • Performance duty

Each offers the driver a more or less enhanced driving experience.

The coils on the other hand have a wide range of stiffness rates and just learn each coil could actually be a different hight which jeep installs from the factory based on the jeep's options.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/figuring-out-the-spring-rate-code-119003-2.html#post29729642

Here's a for Instance and something you'll need to inspect yourself by examining the coil's tag numbers. In our case and which was total random and unexpected.. our jeep has the 17AC coils in the front & 56AA coils in the rear. Mind you this again in my opinion is a mismatch. Because the rear coils based on the stiffness spring rate are lesser as compared to the coils which should have been installed in that position from the factory.

Because of our mismatched coils.. the jeep sits more level instead of the nose dive/rake appearance. In other words IF the coils had been matched correctly from the factory, 17AC F / 58AA rear the jeep would have had a pronounced nose dive or rake because the rear coils would have been stiffer.

Knowing this, we now can adjust the coils to best suit our ride and prepare for those steel bumpers. We'll have the 17AC & 56AA replaced with either 19AC & 58AA or 19AC & 59AA in order to maintain the level appearance.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I've been researching different leveling kits for the JKUR on this site. My intention is to do the following:

- Install a leveling kit
- Upgrade the front (and possibly rear) bumper
- Replace the stock 32's with 33's when they are worn
- Keep the stock Rubicon rims

Specifically, I'm looking at the two TeraFlex leveling kits. One with spacers and the other with springs. Being a complete noob, this has left me with a few questions:

Am I correct assuming that the spring kit will increase the travel distance of the shocks and therefore alter the geometry of the suspension more (specifically at certain points of flex)? That is NOT correct.
Only the shocks can control the amount of flex/articulation you get.
The springs should have a slightly higher spring rate over stock that would help support aftermarket bumpers and the like.

If so, would the increased travel make running wheel spacers "more necessary" with the spring kit as opposed to the spacer kit? No.

Ultimately, I'm wondering if I would have to add wheel spacers under the following scenarios:

- spacer kit with 32's on stock rims Typically no.
- spacer kit with 33's on stock rims Typically yes, although some tires can just squeeze by.
- spring kit with 32's on stock rims
- spring kit with 33's on stock rims

My guess is no, yes, yes, yes. But it is purely a guess. no,
yes, no, yes.

I've also read that the ride changes more when the factory springs are swapped out. Does this mean the TeraFlex springs provide a stiffer ride compared to the stock Rubicon springs? I would expect slightly firmer, but the added weight is what offsets the extra spring rate.

Should the fact that I want to replace the stock plastic bumpers push me toward springs versus spacers? For me, yes it would.

A million thanks for the help.
Answers in red above.

Good luck!

Reactions: JeepOverland

·
Registered
546 Posts
You don't need spacers if you go with 33" pizza cutter tires. I have the KM2 in 255/80/17 and run the TF puck leveling kit with no problems whatsoever. These are great tires out here in the deserts that I run in California.

While others will disagree, it's mostly a myth that you need a wider tire to achieve better traction. I've seen Jeeps with pizza cutters handle the Louisiana gumbo just fine. If you're on sand or deep powder snow or some mud situations, a wider tire can confer some advantages.
If you're going for the look of a wider tire, then yes, spacers may be required.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Personally I recommend wheel spacers to anyone running stock wheel regardless of tire size. The added 3" in track width provide a readily noticeable improvement in handling in daily driving.
I ran Spidertrax on my TJ Rubicon for years and when I took them off to sell it, I immediately noticed the reduced sway and stability difference.

I put a set on my new JK the week I bought it.

An added bonus is that they fill out the wheelwells for a better overall look.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You don't need spacers if you go with 33" pizza cutter tires. I have the KM2 in 255/80/17 and run the TF puck leveling kit with no problems whatsoever. These are great tires out here in the deserts that I run in California.

While others will disagree, it's mostly a myth that you need a wider tire to achieve better traction. I've seen Jeeps with pizza cutters handle the Louisiana gumbo just fine. If you're on sand or deep powder snow or some mud situations, a wider tire can confer some advantages.
If you're going for the look of a wider tire, then yes, spacers may be required.
In Midwest winters, pizza-cutter tires cut through the snow and provide much better traction on wet snowy and slush cover roads compared to 305-315 width tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Perfect topic. I am facing the same issue. I pulled the trigger and got eh TF spring leveling kit. I will admit that the springs look dramaticlly longer and beefering than the stock springs. I have a 2dr wrangler so I am expecting to level the Rubi out since I have a steal bumper and a winch on the way. I am going to switch out my shocks. I am leaning toward the blistiens! Any thoughts? What model and height do I need? And insight?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts