Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Need Front Axle Advice!

Hey fellas, I just replaced my ball joints, and a few other front end items because I was having wobble. Well it was a "fun" experience but I got the new ball joints etc on and when I put my axles back in, they went in all the way with some moving and twisting, and then I tightened down the 3 unit bearing bolts by hand, on both sides.

When I turn the axle slowly its smooth, when I move it faster I get this tiny clunkyness to it, and I didn't pay attention or even test if it was there before.

Is this normal? Could I have put them in wrong? How would I even get them in and able to tighten by hand if it was in wrong? I checked that both sides turn when I turn one side etc.

Any advice from someone who has experience is really appreciated before I start tightening things up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just finished up putting on the new drag link, tie rod, track bar and steering stabilizer bracket and shock. I haven't tightened it up yet because I'm worrying about the axles, the more I think about it, I don't even know how they would be able to go in enough to tighten up by hand if it wasn't lined up correctly. Maybe I just need some weight on it or something? Please let me know your thoughts. the plan is to get an alignment tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
they are splines so if they slid in they are in.

Reactions: jdinny

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you might be feeling the normal u-joint bind at full lock. As stated earlier; if the axles are full seated and your unit-bearings are fully seated, there isn't much else that you could have done wrong.

Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts