Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some good advice guys. I want ur opinions on going Yj or Tj. the wife and i will be purchasing our first jeep very soon and i really like the style of the yj. ive heard the tj is smoother and flexes better but surely theres a way to help th yj flex isnt there? sway bar disconnects? we are thinking 6cyl manual tranny 92-95. weird thing is the nicest ones around here are 92s. also was thinkin bout buying one that was ready to play. already on at least 33s with the hopes that someone else already worked out the bugs. thank u all for your opinions and advice.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have a YJ and the wife has a TJ. If I would have bought her a YJ first she probably would not drive it as much as she does her TJ. Also my mother recently bought a TJ and loves it. She drives it more than she does her Mercedes SUV :) She would hardly ever drive my dad's CJ.

So with that said, your wife may like the comfort and ease of the TJ over the YJ.
I like the old school feel of the YJ.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It's really up to your style in what you like. They both are really dependable and trustworthy, both have HUGE aftermarket parts, both are fun as heck. I don't know what to tell you. A YJ can out-flex a TJ and a TJ can out flex a YJ in the right configuration. A TJ is by far superior technologically but that makes the YJ easier to work on and troubleshoot. Rust is the # 1 enemy off all Jeeps, and to be honest there is not a single Jeep with all the bugs worked out, they all have problems somewhere or another.

If the wife is going to be driving it, get a TJ. They are definitely a more comfortable on-road ride. The YJ is a lot more rugged, they're rough man, they're not too different from the classic CJ's. Both are great and have all sorts of pros and cons. I hope both TJ & YJ owners will chime in on this.

We should make a master list of all the things we like about our Jeeps and all the things we don't lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Ol'Lady & I both have wanted Jeep's for a long time... We bought the YJ because it was the right Jeep for the right price at the right time. It was newer than I wanted (89 & I wanted a CJ), but older than what she wanted... Turns out, I absolutely LOVE driving the YJ and she just tollerates it now. I think she'd be happier in a TJ myself, but that's not in the budget for quite a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. its supposed to be "our" jeep. she said she just wants to drive it to and from wrk in the summer month we get here. honestly she loves our tahoe so much i think even a cadilac would ride rough to her. my current toy/ backup vehicle is an 85full sized bronco. its pretty smooth to me but others say its terribly rough. i look forward to hearing from more members about there opinions.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
a modified YJ will ride rough, a lot more rough than the Tahoe. Even stock they were not that smooth. Its a 4X, short wheel base rig and it will "hop" all the time.

Also consider how high she would be comfortable in getting in and out of. I have a 4" lift and 33" tires, my wife needs me to get the step stool out of the kitchen and bring it with us when we go out. Even my daughter who drives the jeep the most gets a bit tired of getting in and out of it. Although we do not have any steps on it, but I dont want to make it a car and Ive done nothing but tear those steps off before.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
If done correctly, a YJ will outride a TJ in most cases. I could drive my last one on a rough two lane road to work with an open cup of coffee and not spill it....on unbalanced 33's :)

But its all a matter of preference and what type of gal she is. Mine wouldn't trade RJ for anything.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If done correctly, a YJ will outride a TJ in most cases. I could drive my last one on a rough two lane road to work with an open cup of coffee and not spill it....on unbalanced 33's :)

But its all a matter of preference and what type of gal she is. Mine wouldn't trade RJ for anything.

But RJ is badass :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I had a 00' tj My wife drove it all the time. She only drives the yj every now and then. She like the tj better. Both 4cyl 5 spds, both interior gutted, both soft tops.

Granted the tj had 31" all terrains on it and open diffs. The yj has 32" mud terrains, and a rear auto locker.

I have to admit that the tj rode better most of the time. The yj out wheels the tj we had by leaps and bounds.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ibuildembig said:
:thumb: What I meant was, she likes the old ones better than the newer ones. She was brought home from the hospital in a 69 Z28 302 car for petes sake....she didnt have a chance lol
:drool:

I want one of those!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts