Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new adjustment screw nutserts for my 87 YJ. will any square nutserts work on these, or do I need model specific. they only ones I've found online that specifically say they're for a YJ were about $10 each. I need all 4. I was wondering if GM or mopar would work, $10 seems a little steep for some nylon nuts and a few screws.

The screws I have seem to have cleaned up ok with a brass wire wheel. I like that mine have a hex head on the back side (in the engine bay) so you can adjust them without having to go through the tight opening in the front of the light.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, I found some that others have stated work on XJ of the same year range, but states it will not work specifically for the YJ. I thought since the manufacturers were the same, it should work, am I wrong?

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
I'd have to go look at my headlights to be sure, but I think you might be able to go to your local auto parts store and look in the "Help" section. If you don't find what you need there, perhaps you can find what you need on the Dorman website. That's assuming they have a website. I've never checked.

I had a body shop in the Denver area for many years and found E&G Terminal to have all sorts of hardware that's difficult to find elsewhere. They have a great website and they ship. I think they only sell in bulk, but if you're facing $40.00 for four plastic nuts, you might be able to buy a bag of 25 for less.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Retired Moderator
100,623 Posts
Thread Moved.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If you wanna go cheap, a couple nuts and washers will do the job... that's what the po used on mine... they were on it when I bought the jeep in 2007.... last year I finally tossed em in the trash and bought new stock ones from morris 4x4.
They have crown for 5.99 and mopar for 9.99.... I went with the mopar because they can be adjusted from under the hood without removing the headlight trim...
IMHO, WORTH IT!

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
This may help. The stock part number is 5600 1419.

I went out and looked at my '87 headlights. There were 3 black headlight adjuster clips and one green one. I looked in my hardware drawers and found the clip pictured.
Apparently I replaced one of the headlight adjuster clips with whatever I had in stock and used the stock adjusting screw. All my adjusting screws can be adjusted from under the hood.
I don't remember what vehicle they're supposed to fit. Since many of the parts on our old heaps are GM parts, I'd look for mid-late '80s Chevrolet headlight adjuster clips. If that didn't pan out, I'd look at Ford parts next.

As stated above, you might have good luck at the parts store "help" display. I'm guessing if you find the plastic clips, you can easily change the screws to the ones from your Jeep.
I searched NAPA "headlight adjusters". My local NAPA has them for $4.00 each. Part number NOE 6651684. You'll have to change the screw.
The website states they don't fit my Wrangler. They sure look close. It might be worth buying one just to see if they will, in fact, fit.
When you go to your local auto parts store, be sure to take your example. Even if it's in two or three pieces, you should be able to find something that you can adapt to your purpose.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Oh Nuts

I found the exact parts I needed at a local parts store on a Dorman rack.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
I found the exact parts I needed at a local parts store on a Dorman rack.
And I bet they weren't $10.00 each.
Some auto parts stores have a Dorman rack and others have what they call their "Help" section. I never looked to see if the items in the "Help" section are Dorman parts.
Those displays are worthwhile checking out when you need some oddball item. I seem to remember even seeing turn signal switches there that if I needed one for my old heap, I'd give it a try.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts