Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 jky. I just did my 1st oil change. I used 6 qts of Moble1 oil now I am getting the smell of oil coming thru heater vents I have 3000 miles on truck. after driving and come to a stop then it pulls the smell in. If i use recycle air it dont bring in the oil smell. Just so we save some time. I did tighen oil canister nut not to tight as to crush o ring but very snug, I did not spill any oil I checked every ware no oil leak I also took off and put filler cap back on. has any on found the fix for this. I see some people run this oil with out problems. I did see some one with the same problem with moble one. on a diff forum but they did not show it it was ever fixed. I also checked oil level it is fine.Please if you have had this problem let me know fix. dealr told me it was my undercoating its not that was done 6 months ago. TKS :facepalm:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little oil dropped on the block will stink. The harder I try to not spill any, I spill more lol
Are you sure none was spilt ?
Thank you for a reply. I am 100% positive I did not spill a drop I have in the past on my suburban. but the jeep is so easy. I have also driven about 500 miles since oil change If there was a few drops they would have been dried out by now. It is driving me nuts. I am at this point thinking about changing it back to convenal oil see if that helps. I know that I am not the first one this has happen to but have not found anyone tell how theu fixed it. very frustrating .. tks again for your time.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yea bro, Im going with the you spilled a bit of oil on the block some where. No matter how much I've tried or thought I didnt spill any on previous oil change I always did. The smell will go away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea bro, Im going with the you spilled a bit of oil on the block some where. No matter how much I've tried or thought I didnt spill any on previous oil change I always did. The smell will go away.
first off thang you for your service to this great country and thank you for the taking the time to reply. I have put over 500 mile on since oil change any spilt oil would have burned off. per past experiance on other vehicals. also I have found a hand full of people who have had same problem moble1 one of them on a jk some others on nissan and vett. but no one have gone back to shear ther fix??

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Lots of plastic on the 3.6L. Unless you spilled it directly on the exhaust or the head near the exhaust, it could take awhile to burn off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just a update i dont want to jump the gun but I changed out the mobil 1 put in some conventional oil Pennzoil 5w30 to be exact drove truck for about 30 minutes lots of stops and so far so good. fingers are crossed. this is the craziest thing I have ever come a crossed in 22 years of working on trucks and cars all just my projects. not a wrench by triad i will post back in a few days thanks to all for your input & time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts