Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jeep (equipment below) wonders. Not a lot but enough to make me nervous about having my 16 y/o son drive it on his own. I have had many recommendations from family and friends including adding the steering stabilizer and steering attenuator. That didn’t seem to do much to help. I dropped the air pressure to 28 lbs and that had the most positive effect. Had an alignment done. Mechanic couldn’t align to specs. Told me there was too much play in the steering wheel caused by the steering attenuator. He recommended replacing ball joints because of tire size with “1 degree offset”. I think that was what he said. Mechanic is telling me it’s that the tires are too wide causing it to wonder by grabbing at the road surface.

So I’m lost. I still have the wonder mostly around 50-60 mph. Considering selling tires and replacing with something not so wide (31’s ?).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Equipment:
2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon w/ 5k miles
Teraflex 2.5” budget boost
Rough Country dual steering stabilizer
Steering attenuator
Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx LT315 70R17
- live in upstate NY (Saratoga area)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Had an alignment done. Mechanic couldn’t align to specs.
If you still have the printout from the alignment, post the results here, especially the caster. Chances are the caster is off due to the lift, which will cause exactly what you are describing. As Wharfrat stated, it can be easily corrected with arms or brackets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts