216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

So here is my setup

35" tires Atturo Trail Blade X/T LT35/12.50R-17 hybrid tires
3.5" Mopar lift kit the complete package with the fox's steering stabalizer
Supreme suspension heavy duty steering tie rod with heavy duty end links
Rough country adjustable Track bar
Adjustable Rough Country Lower control arms (front)
4.88 regear
35 psi tire pressure
Fresh Wheel alignment
Fresh Ball joints (ALLOY USA)
Brand News rotors and brake pads
Metal bumpers front/ back and 9500 lbs winch

When I hit 62mph + and go over even the slightest of the bumps/hump, after i have passed the bump/hump a little bit later the vehicle wants to sway to the right/left more to the right i would say. Constant steering correction required, every so lightly that I have to hit the brakes and drop the speed. Especially at higher speeds, it is very unstable and I am scared to death to drive it on the highway now.

I really want the jeep to track in a straight line, no matter what speed and condition of the road.

I think in my opinion there is not much done for the jeep especially with bigger tires to track a straight line. That one track bar does not do shit to stabilize the front axle.

Really frustrating, having worked so much on the jeep.

Can someone guide me as to what I should look at? Do I have to get Clayton track bar?

Very irritated...:atomic:....... any help guidance feedback will be welcome.

Sandan
:worthy:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Lower psi t9 28psi, make sure all track bar and control arm bolts are properly torqued. Were they all lose and torqued with weight of the jeep on the ground. If not loosen everything and retort when jeep is on the ground. Also might try geo brackets with stock front control arms.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you jadmt, will do...

also, can you share more info on " geo brackets with stock front control arms"

sandan

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Did you do a flipped draglink? At 3.5 you may need it - higher lift will throw steering geometry out of whack. Draglink and trackbar should be parallel.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
Hi Folks,

So here is my setup

35" tires Atturo Trail Blade X/T LT35/12.50R-17 hybrid tires
3.5" Mopar lift kit the complete package with the fox's steering stabalizer
Supreme suspension heavy duty steering tie rod with heavy duty end links
Rough country adjustable Track bar
Adjustable Rough Country Lower control arms (front)
4.88 regear
35 psi tire pressure
Fresh Wheel alignment
Fresh Ball joints (ALLOY USA)
Brand News rotors and brake pads
Metal bumpers front/ back and 9500 lbs winch

When I hit 62mph + and go over even the slightest of the bumps/hump, after i have passed the bump/hump a little bit later the vehicle wants to sway to the right/left more to the right i would say. Constant steering correction required, every so lightly that I have to hit the brakes and drop the speed. Especially at higher speeds, it is very unstable and I am scared to death to drive it on the highway now.

I really want the jeep to track in a straight line, no matter what speed and condition of the road.

I think in my opinion there is not much done for the jeep especially with bigger tires to track a straight line. That one track bar does not do shit to stabilize the front axle.

Really frustrating, having worked so much on the jeep.

Can someone guide me as to what I should look at? Do I have to get Clayton track bar?

Very irritated...:atomic:....... any help guidance feedback will be welcome.

Sandan
:worthy:
I'm perceiving 2 possible issues here... You said you had an alignment. Did you get the printout from them? We need to see what your caster is to know if your front control arms are set properly. Low caster causes wandering at speed, especially on the freeway.

If you have a slight change in direction when hitting a bump, we call that bump steer. It's caused by a misalignment between the track bar and drag link. This misalignment happens automatically when you lift a Jeep. There is a steering correction kit that raises the lower mount on the trackbar and flips the draglink to bring them back in line. This is common at 4" and above, but can definitely also affect a 3.5" lift.

So post up your alignment sheet and let's start with making sure your caster is good.

Then you'll want to find a steering correction kit (also known as a high steer kit or drag link flip), I like the kits that use the Yeti no-drill drag link. Or you can buy the components from Yeti and make your own kit.

https://steersmarts.com/collections/drag-links/products/yeti-jk-heavy-duty-no-drill-top-mount-draglink

https://steersmarts.com/collections/accessories/products/yeti-xd-jk-track-bar-relocation-bracket

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
may want to look into the metalcloak db3 rear control arm bracket too, as the rear axle can "steer" the vehicle over bumps at that height due to the steep control arm angles. its this same principle that makes the front drop brackets superior for on road driving, less axle steer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will post the sheet tonight.....thanks for the input.....need this gone...and want my jeep back......stable and strong...

sandan

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
You might also post some specifics on your lift. That I'm aware of Mopar has never made a 3.5" lift, only 2", 3" & 4". The 2" & 3" are good lifts, but if you have the 4" lift then we can point you to a few threads discussing some issues with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Isn't the 4 inch kit the one that does flip draglink but uses the less than desirable cam bolts for caster?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will share pictures as well. I think the Mopar kit came with the steer drag link adjuster as well and relocation brackets.

you are correct mommycrawler.....this was the complete kit with front axle, adjustment brackets, track bar end links etc etc....this is one that Mopar ships in one of those fancy wooden crates....

Sandan

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
We have had a lot of posts here on caster troubles with the 4 inch Mopar kit with cam bolts. Adjustable control arms or control arm drop brackets are a much better option.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Do you have the alignment printout to post?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
so looks like caster is pretty high. I would shorten up the front lower control arms a little bit. looks like has a high steer set up but looks odd. Can you post some better photos? take some from head on showing the drag link and track bar as well.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
so looks like caster is pretty high. I would shorten up the front lower control arms a little bit. looks like has a high steer set up but looks odd. Can you post some better photos? take some from head on showing the drag link and track bar as well.
Yes, shorten the front lowers by 1 full turn... It looks like it has a steering correction kit on it, but in the picture the drag link seems really high to me. As jadmt asked, get a us a picture from the front, straight on that is inside edge of tire to inside edge of tire... Something like this:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Ok, I have some questions and things I would like you to take a close look at.
One pic showed what looks like a little bit or rust on the passenger side of the track bar mount bracket at the bolt head. That sometimes signals the bolt shifted and scrapped the paint. Is it the oem bolt or one that came with the track bar?
The mount on the tierod for the steering stabilizer does not look square. Can you check the tie rod for any signs of scraping that would indicate that it might be shifting? I see you reused a RC mount, what are the odds it is having an issue clamping on the larger tie rod? Also, something just looks off about the tierod, could be nothing, or my imagination, but it looks like the end on the passenger side is sitting awkwardly.

Now on to the interesting part The trackbar. I noticed it is at its shortest setting. And the drag link looks like it has a lot of threads showing. Is your axle centered or is it pushed a little to the passenger side?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Also I think your tie rod is reversed. I believe the collared side should be on the drivers side knuckle which would change the way it sits, raising it a little and probably take that tie rod end to a more neutral position, and level out the stabilizer a little.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts