Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im helping a friend fix his jeep. He has a 1988 YJ with a older model 4.2L. The tricky part is somehow he messed up his distributor by spraying WD-40 in it and now it wont start. I looked up a new distributor and it doesnt look anything like the one in the pic. The one he has has points and a condenser. I tryed posting in the YJ forum but i recieved no luck. My ? is where does the wire go too, that comes out of the distributor, its black and i think it used to have an eyelet connector on it that sat between the Cap and the Distributor(as a ground?) then it is connected to the negative side of the Coil. Does this seem right? Im thinking the Points are shot and i plan on replacing them. If anyone knows where the negative side of the coil is supposed to be hooked up to I would greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can i just put a HEI distributor in this and call it a day?

·
Registered
161 Posts
If I were him, I would swap out the old guts for a Pertronix Electronic Ignition setup. I did this with my '68 Mustang and it works great.

The above route would be a worthwhile upgrade over the points style ignition that it has.

Along with that, I would replace the cap and rotor....They don't cost much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we ordered him a CRT HEI distributor. Anyone ever here of that brand. Its 150.00 with the new spark plug wires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So we finally got the HEI distributor in and I timed it just how the instructions told me too. The jeep Runs great now, and it just dropped right in. I only have one concern with it. After driving it all over town when my friend goes to shut it off. Sometimes the engine Backfires really loud? Do i have to adjust anything on the carb or what causes it to backfire only when you turn the key off?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used the yellow wire that originally went to the Positive side of the old coil. I believe it comes out of the ICM. I used my DMM and found that when the key is in the run position i have 12V. Ill try retiming it when its hot and see what happens. Does anyone know which port on the carburetor the Vac Advance is supposed to be attatched too? I have the Vacuum diagram but it doesnt show me which port. Im not familiar with that type of carb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts