Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well went to open up the front diff to verify gears and found this..

To me this looks like a locker am I correct? When you spin the wheels they turn the same way, hold one and the other still spins... Let me know asap looking to order the parts for the rear. Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also ring gear is stamped D30-410R which means dana 30 4.10 ratio correct?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I think the R means reverse rotation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So from what I can see this is a Dana 30 HP from a Cherokee as it has a vac connection. Main question I have is does that look like a locker or not? Someone has to know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
From your pics we can't see what we need to see. Turn to where we can look into the window of the middle area and not the outside wall of it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
WOW! You need to rebuild. Your pinion is rubbing the carrier. That's why it had those cuts into it. How come nobody has said anything? And if you can hold one and the other spins then it isn't a locker...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW! You need to rebuild. Your pinion is rubbing the carrier. That's why it had those cuts into it. How come nobody has said anything? And if you can hold one and the other spins then it isn't a locker...
Figured as much and in the process when all the parts come I will. As far as looking into a "window" not to sure what is meant by that but that thing is solid, no open areas. Could it be a LSD, the dana 30's didnt come stock with lockers correct? Sorry for all the stupid/newb questions as I am new to jeeps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will pop the cover and look again today for what you say but if I remember right that is a full solid case. There was no holes or signs of spider gears anywhere. Curious since this has the vac disconnect if the axles are not locked that could be why it's not acting like a locker correct? Going to jack it back up and test this theory later today.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
it is not an open carrier, if you turn one tire and it spins the opposite direction it is an open diff, if you turn a tire and it spins the same direction its not open, it doesn't look like an open carrier either.. its more than likely an automatic locker, like a lunchbox locker. Also the R indicates Reverse cut which all high pinion gears are.

Its likely not a cherokee axle as was suggested.. the stock YJ d30 was high pinion, and had the center axle disconnect.. i'm guessing someone has swapped in a solid passenger side axle shaft or else spinning one tire would do nothing at all to the other tire, unless you had the jeep turned on, put in 4wd, then turned it off..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it is not an open carrier, if you turn one tire and it spins the opposite direction it is an open diff, if you turn a tire and it spins the same direction its not open, it doesn't look like an open carrier either.. its more than likely an automatic locker, like a lunchbox locker. Also the R indicates Reverse cut which all high pinion gears are.

Its likely not a cherokee axle as was suggested.. the stock YJ d30 was high pinion, and had the center axle disconnect.. i'm guessing someone has swapped in a solid passenger side axle shaft or else spinning one tire would do nothing at all to the other tire, unless you had the jeep turned on, put in 4wd, then turned it off..
Thank you! Exactly what I was saying about it, well after playing with it for a bit I figure thats what it is (cant test it till I re gear the rear). But I also discovered that I have a SYE installed on the Yj already as well as a cv shaft(sucks cause I have a sye kit on its way haha almost just ordered the new ds as well). But I do have quite a few more parts coming for the Yj in a few days so excited about that! Thanks guys

·
Registered
451 Posts
Read the op again... He said he can hold one tire and the other turns. That's just a carrier in dark's post. It doesn't even have guts in it. From the op picture you can't tell what it is because you can't see the guts in the carrier. And his carrier does look like the one in the picture... He has to rotate it some more to make it look like that...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Read the op again... He said he can hold one tire and the other turns. That's just a carrier in dark's post. It doesn't even have guts in it. From the op picture you can't tell what it is because you can't see the guts in the carrier. And his carrier does look like the one in the picture... He has to rotate it some more to make it look like that...
Actually if you look at the picture you can see it looks NOTHING like the one dark pictured... It is a full SOLID case like a locker, this is why I thought it could be one. This has a vac disco which explains why only one tire spins and when the vac disco is engaged it does lock the axles. Im not to sure if I am not wording things right or what but seems like not all of it is gettin read before someone posts. please read all and every comment. Dont get me wrong I am glad for the help but dont think it is to much to ask to read before you post.

·
Registered
451 Posts
ninfivfo said:
Well went to open up the front diff to verify gears and found this..

To me this looks like a locker am I correct? When you spin the wheels they turn the same way, HOLD ONE AND THE OTHER STILL SPINS... Let me know asap looking to order the parts for the rear. Thanks!
This is your first post... I just capitalized the important stuff. I'm just going by this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts