Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone...

Need help asap...my 99 2.5l manual wouldn't start last night and is now sitting downtown in a parking spot.

I have full power (radio, lights, etc) but still no start...not even an attempt to crank. I have tried a 20a fuse to bypass the clutch but still nothing

All help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

i'm going to go back downtown in a little while...

going to try and hit the starter to see if thats the problem, also going to recheck all the cables and battery crap, and also try to jump it just in case.

I have to do this TODAY because i dont wanna get parking tickets tomorrow

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
There is a switch on the clutch pedal (I think), that will keep the engine from turning if the clutch is not in....you might check that switch. I'll try and remember what else I have on my 99 that might cause that.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a switch on the clutch pedal (I think), that will keep the engine from turning if the clutch is not in....you might check that switch. I'll try and remember what else I have on my 99 that might cause that.
Yeah, but even if the switch is bad...putting a 20a fuse into the open trans slot in the fuse box should bypass the switch and let me start without the clutch being pressed...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Turn the key on/off a few times without engaging the starter, the odometer will display any problem codes. Do you hear the starter click at all? Try tapping on the starter solenoid, not the starter. Also do a visual inspection under the hood for vacuum hoses/connections in case any wisecrackers sabotaged it somehow.

Can you bump- start it?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright...i'll look when i go back down for problem codes

I dont hear the starter click at all when i turn the key...yeah, i meant the solenoid that i'll tap when i go down there.

I've checked everything under the hood...plug wires, dist, any other connections, the fuse box, etc...

it was perfect and i've had zero problems...now this

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Pull the darn thing and throw it in 3rd gear and pop the clutch. When it starts stop and in tie it and drive home.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Skyhawk32 said:
Pull the darn thing and throw it in 3rd gear and pop the clutch. When it starts stop and in tie it and drive home.
That's untie it

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Id love to but its parallel parked into a spot with cars front and behind

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...wrecker is on the way...

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's probably the ignition switch. Mine did the exact same thing. Full power n everything but crank at all.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright...jeep is back at my place and of course still no start. I wasnt able to get a lot done on it yesterday after getting it home but am going to work on it as soon as i'm out of work today.

I've tapped the starter solenoid and nothing...tried jumping it with a jumpbox and nothing...also rechecked the leads and all seem good. Jeep still has full power.

i havent tried bump starting it but am going to try that after work if possible...

I'm gonna get under the dash as soon as i'm out to see if maybe some wires were unplugged or something but i'm honestly in the dark on this and have no idea where to start...

The only other vehicle i have to drive is my 1991 Mustang GT with 550hp and that just wont do well in the snow we're about to get in the coming few days...please help!!!!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll take the starter out after work and take it to the shop to be tested...

any other suggestions???

So weird how it was perfect...then an hour and a half later it wouldnt start.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Owen_TJ said:

any other suggestions???

1. Get a volt meter and check the voltage at the starter with the key in the start position. If you get voltage it's a bad starter. Also the positive cable directly connects to the starter solenoid. While the key is in the start position check for voltage going to the starter if not change it. But if I remember right it's mounted on the starter and a new starter may come with it. I change then because I'm cheap.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Owen_TJ said:

any other suggestions???

My cj did the same thing.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sometimes i really hate vehicles...

i'm going to take the column apart tonight after work and see if the actuator pin is broken or if its hopefully just the ignition switch...

not looking forward to this at all...

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's not hard to replace them. I got one at a wrecking yard off a Cherokee for $5. You can buy them at Oreillys also.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts