Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Just picked up my first Wrangler in March! The Jeep came with two options: premium soft top and AC (it also has a manual transmission). It has the incredibly lame stock Goodyear Wranglers (225 75R16) which I am dying to get rid of. Overall, I'm very pleased with the ride and am looking to bump it up to the next level. I've been contemplating what I should get exactly. To add a bit of context, I am not planning on doing any "serious" off-roading (while it is brand new at least) and I really don't want to do anything that will really bring down the gas mileage (more than 2-3 MPG) or significantly increase the wear and tear. A good friend of mine has an 06 and has made a few suggestions but I would really like to hear from JK owners to see what is feasible.

I've seen many positive reviews on MB wheels and they seem quite reasonable from a price standpoint. I figured I would snag a set of those, 15x8 5-5.5". I'm not sure what the backspacing is, I figure I should look into this before settling on them.

For the tires, I didn't want to throw something on that will be rubbing so I figured 10.5 would be the maximum width it could handle assuming the backspacing is reasonable on the wheels. It's important to note I would like to plan for this upgrade without a lift. At the end of the day, I was thinking BFG MT KM2s, 33x10.5R15.

Does anyone think this combo would/wouldn't work? Any thoughts or other combos to consider? I really don't want to mount a set of tires and find it doesn't work or I need to start cutting my fenders to make it fit. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Welcome!
I want to say I've read of people having good results with 15 inch alloy wheels with around 3.75 inches of backspacing. Some say steel wheels are constructed in a way that they are more likely to hit the brake calipers.

See http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/so-you-want-bigger-tires-755625.html

Several folks run "the combo" - lots of folks with 15 inch rims on this thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/33x12-5r15-goodyear-duratracs-installed-pics-and-video-96568.html#/forumsite/20561/topics/96568

·
Registered
395 Posts
255/85/16 on the stock rims, although not a lot of tires in that size.

I get my new JKU next week and this is what I'm doing or 33/10.50/15's not sure yet.

265/75/16 will work on the stock rim.

These a few threads with pics of these sizes on the forum

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
The 15's require less back spacing to clear the tie rod ends... This makes the wheels stick out quite a bit farther than needed to install bigger tires. Some like the look, others don't.

I recommend either 16's or 17's. The 285/70-17's is a really popular 33" size and get a wheel with between 4.5 to 5.0 back spacing.

We are 5x5 or 5x127 bolt pattern. Very nice function and look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your input. In response-
If I were to stick with tires that will work on the OEM wheel, will I have limited choice in tire types and will I also need to overpay (My father has experience having an obscure motorcycle tire size, don't want to put myself through that)? It seems 33 inch is a pretty popular choice so I'll never need to worry about getting ripped off. Maybe a moot point?

Pressurized- Similar question to my point above. I'm looking at the Bridgestone all terrain TAs, they're $100 more than the equivalent 33x10.5R15. Will it bring down the off-road performance in any way? I hear everyone raving about having 15's if I ever plan to do any off-road. Also, another question- if I use 15's with 3.75" backspacing, is it the equivalent of throwing spacers on it from a wear and tear perspective?

A follow up question for everyone- if I have the stock 3.23 axle ratio and the 3.6L engine, will 33 inch tires slow it way down or put too much strain on the engine? Thanks again everyone for the great advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts