Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm driving the traction control light comes on and stays on and the engine is was cutting power. I let off the throttle and engine power returns but is very hesitant. When I shut the vehicle off and started it back up the traction control light disappears and the engine runs at full power but usually a few minutes into the drive the traction control light reappears and I start to lose power again. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Foolproof,

Thanks a lot for the codes I was actually able to bring the jeep to a mechanic unfortunately he claims theres a problem with the wiring harness but they couldn't really find any damage to the harness. Going to look for any breaks in the harness tomorrow

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI to anyone who has this problem. CEL and antisway lights come on and it goes into limp mode. Wouldn't allow RPMs to go over 3500. There are two sensors. Both are located on top of the engine near the fire wall. The drivers side is the one that usually has problem. The mechanic who fixed mine said that it seems to be a design flaw with the wiring made two short to reach the harness for the cam shaft positioning sensor on the back drivers side of the engine, under the punta (sp.). Hard to get access to. One of the wires broke from vibration and stretching. Cost $450 to diagnose and fix. I could have done it myself but by we limped to Colorado Springs and just wanted it fixed.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
P0349 on 2012 Wrangler

I've had this problem off and on for a few weeks. After three trips to the Chrysler dealer, I was told today that there's a star report related to third party oil and (especially) filters that cause a malfunction of the cam phaser. The good news is that an oil change and a new Mopar filter seems to fix the problem. Before spending a bunch of money to replace cam positions sensors and expensive diagnostics to find bad grounds or wiring between the cam position sensor and the PCM, you might want to try this (inexpensive) fix, first. Hope this helps anybody else having this issue out there in Jeep land.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Never mind....

I've had this problem off and on for a few weeks. After three trips to the Chrysler dealer, I was told today that there's a star report related to third party oil and (especially) filters that cause a malfunction of the cam phaser. The good news is that an oil change and a new Mopar filter seems to fix the problem. Before spending a bunch of money to replace cam positions sensors and expensive diagnostics to find bad grounds or wiring between the cam position sensor and the PCM, you might want to try this (inexpensive) fix, first. Hope this helps anybody else having this issue out there in Jeep land.
That sooooo didn't work. Throwing the same codes today. This time, I've requested a Jeep Field Service Engineer to "visit" the problem, since it's my 4th time to the dealership without resolution. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
That sooooo didn't work. Throwing the same codes today. This time, I've requested a Jeep Field Service Engineer to "visit" the problem, since it's my 4th time to the dealership without resolution. I'll keep y'all posted.
So my JK is at the dealership today. Rather than pay for yet another diagnosis (this is my 4th trip for this problem), I simply told them to replace the cam position sensor. Then we'll find out fairly quickly if that's the problem or if it's wiring and/or the cam phaser (hope this is NOT the case, $$$) itself. :beerme:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced my sensors too, that didn't fix it for me. I think it's in the harness to be honest with you. I've been having this problem for 5 months now, got it fixed once for 2 months and then randomly it happened again. Getting sick of limp mode... Let us know if anything gets fixed. Have them take a serious look at the wiring itself. Apparently that's what they fixed on it last time. My symptoms are identical to ratherbjeepin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely check your wiring harness I was able to finally fix this issue by having the dealer repair a wire that was damaged connecting to the cam shaft sensor. I was told the harness is very tight around the engine which may cause wires to pull and stretch. Good luck

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Definitely check your wiring harness I was able to finally fix this issue by having the dealer repair a wire that was damaged connecting to the cam shaft sensor. I was told the harness is very tight around the engine which may cause wires to pull and stretch. Good luck
So, latest update. The dealer claims they have checked the wiring exhaustively. They also noticed that, this time, there is an additional code for loss of torque signal. That, in combination with the P0349 that I can pull with my generic DTC scanner led them to investigate the exhaust cam phasers. They now want to replace the cam phasers (both exhaust phasers) at 47k miles. So.... $$$ after all. At this point, I'm going into JK withdrawals and I'm willing to do damned near anything just to get my Jeep back for part of the summer.

What's next, a blown cylinder head? Oh, crap... did I say that out loud? :puke:

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Well, it cost close to $600 to have both exhaust cam phasers replaced but so far that seems to have worked. No more codes and no month limp-home. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So since they replaced the cam phasers, did they try replacing the cam sensor plug and wires first? I REALLY hope that's not what I have to do. I have been getting P0349 (Cam Sensor) & P2638 (Torque Man Feedback) for what feels like forever now. If the wires are indeed too short, how are more people not having this issue? I might replace my plug and see what that does. My stealership sucks the most, so I don't trust them, after the experience I had yesterday they can fudge off.. What do you think causes this issue?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I hate to say it, but after having both exhaust cam phasers replaced, the problem really has gone away. I've got about 1,000 miles on the JK now since the cam phaser replacement and no OBD codes. I can tell you, from discussions with the techs at the dealership that this isn't an isolated problem. Seems to be happening quite a bit with the early Pentastars.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
FYI to anyone who has this problem. CEL and antisway lights come on and it goes into limp mode. Wouldn't allow RPMs to go over 3500. There are two sensors. Both are located on top of the engine near the fire wall. The drivers side is the one that usually has problem. The mechanic who fixed mine said that it seems to be a design flaw with the wiring made two short to reach the harness for the cam shaft positioning sensor on the back drivers side of the engine, under the punta (sp.). Hard to get access to. One of the wires broke from vibration and stretching. Cost $450 to diagnose and fix. I could have done it myself but by we limped to Colorado Springs and just wanted it fixed.
I removed the drivers side sensor the other day and it is physically larger than the one located on bank 1, however the part numbers are the same. Can you tell me exactly what Chrysler calls that part?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hate to say it, but after having both exhaust cam phasers replaced, the problem really has gone away. I've got about 1,000 miles on the JK now since the cam phaser replacement and no OBD codes. I can tell you, from discussions with the techs at the dealership that this isn't an isolated problem. Seems to be happening quite a bit with the early Pentastars.
I am wondering if this solution is still working. I am having similar issues with my 2013 Wrangler and after having a software update, cam sensor, and cam module replaced within the past few months, I am hoping to find a more long term solution... Thanks!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I am wondering if this solution is still working. I am having similar issues with my 2013 Wrangler and after having a software update, cam sensor, and cam module replaced within the past few months, I am hoping to find a more long term solution... Thanks!
I haven't had a single problem since replacing both cam sensors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know its been a while rlast since you posted about replacing both exhaust cam phasers replaced. I'm having the same problem, already replaced the sensors but the problem still there. should I replace the phasers its about $600 cost

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know its been a while rlast since you posted about replacing both exhaust cam phasers replaced. I'm having the same problem, already replaced the sensors but the problem still there. should I replace the phasers its about $600 cost

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know its been a while since you posted, I'm having the same problem JK 2012 already replaced the sensors but the problem still there. should I replace the phasers its about $600 cost

1 - 20 of 21 Posts