Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If another thread already exist please post link

The way I look at it its either I cut em and they look great or I butcher em and buy some bushwaker slim fenders. I've seen a lot of you guys with wicked looking fenders that you chopped yourselves so was wonder if you guys could give me some tips and pointers and maybe show me some pics of the jobs you've done

Thanks

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I am very pleased with the way mine turned out. The easiest way I found to do it is to use Frog Tape and basically tape off everything you want to cut off, with a little extra inboard so you can draw a final line. The contrast of the frog tape and the dark fenders makes it much easier to stand back and see if it looks even. We measured mine and tried to duplicate it on my friend's and it wasn't perfectly even and we will eventually have to redo it. Take your time, I think it took me somewhere along the lines of 3 hours just to finish the taping and measuring.
Sorry I didn't have any pictures of it all taped off to demonstrate, I was way too focused during that process to remember to take pics.
Find a line you like, and use reference points and a piece of string or flexible measuring device to make sure all the distances from the reference points are the same on both sides of the Jeep. I have heard that one of those flexible straight edges are helpful too, but I don't have one. Here's an example.

To finish the edge (because it won't be perfect if you're anything like us), use that cheap plastic door edge trim you get at auto stores
20140614_230657.jpg
winch.jpg
20150124_024209.jpg
20150124_124501.jpg

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
To replace the round side markers, I used a set of these in amber and snipped the connector off the OE ones and soldered the leads on the amber strip to it, then hot glued it to seal it and then I was able to use that nice waterproof connector for the side markers. The strips got mounted between the hood and the body (epoxy'd in) right behind the hood latches, and it looks super snazzy. I am kicking myself for not having a good picture of them but you can barely see them during the day, and at night it looks awesome!

·
Registered
45 Posts
How is your side marker light held on USMCSJ?
When you cut the shell off using Dremel there is lot of support plastic under. Where my light are the support plastic is about 4" wide. I got led lights at tractor supply and bolted and wired them (ran wire up between fender top and support plastic) , then just cut around the light with dremel and then file for finish look. It's all very easy took about and 1 1/2 per side, the hardest part was cutting the wheel well correct, just measure twice , remember to drill and fasten the wheel well at the bottom to hold it in >>> don't be scared :pullinghair:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts