Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
New Member seeking some assistance.
I have a 2013 JK (MOAB edition) 3.6L engine. Last night the temp spiked, then dropped to zero, engine warning light and electronic throttle control light came on.... Luckily i was only a block away from home when this happened and was able to limp it home. this morning I am checking hoses and lines and everything I can see... I poured water into the radiator to see if I can spot the leak and the water is pouring out as fast as I pour it in. I cant spot the exact spot of the leak but it is somewhere near the back of the engine because it is raining down from over the bell housing. I cant get a clear enough look to see where it is coming. the only coolant line i see that goes down in that direction is from the heater core feed line. ANY advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I would take a closer look at the hoses.
One could be split in a way that is not as obvious to see.

Reactions: FLEX B

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I'm assuming you meant 3.6L engine.

There are hoses to run coolant through the heater core at the firewall. If water is pouring off the back of the engine that means you either have a hose that has ruptured or a clamp failed and the hose blew off the fitting.

Find where the hoses go into the heater core. Follow the hoses from the heater core to the engine. You should be able to spot the failure pretty easily.

It could possibly be the block heater, if you have one of those. It could have had a problem and fallen out. It also might be possible, but very unlikely, that one of the freeze plugs popped out. If the hoses are intact, look at the engine closely while a friend pours water in. You should be able to spot the leak one way or another.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I would also check the connections. I am not familiar with the 6.3 block. Is there a port towards the rear?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
See if you can tape your phone to a spot with a good view of where you think the fluid is coming out, start it recording, and then pour the fluid in. That's a good way to get some idea of what's happening. You can also upload it into youtube and post it for others to potentially diagnose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Derf* Yes, 3.6L. I've followed the heater hoses from where they begin at the water pump, up over the engine and into the rear firewall. the line that comes up from the pump splits off in two directions. One into the firewall (labled heater) and one down behind the engine to some unknown/unseen point. Both the heater feed line and the heater return line hoses are intact with good clamps. As for the line that splits off of the heater feed line and goes behind the engine... as far down as I can see the hose looks intact. I disconnected that line off of the steel pipe (feed line) and poured water into the radiator.... nothing comes out of that line, but it is still raining down from the back of the engine somewhere. I do not think i have a cracked block or heads... the oil is clear (no signs of water contamination) and so is the Transmission fluid. I've been looking but I cant even find a diagram of what those hoses are or where they go...
I'm going to have to get a bigger inspection mirror or maybe see if someone has one of those flexible camera (bore scope camera?) things.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Derf* Yes, 3.6L. I've followed the heater hoses from where they begin at the water pump, up over the engine and into the rear firewall. the line that comes up from the pump splits off in two directions. One into the firewall (labled heater) and one down behind the engine to some unknown/unseen point. Both the heater feed line and the heater return line hoses are intact with good clamps. As for the line that splits off of the heater feed line and goes behind the engine... as far down as I can see the hose looks intact. I disconnected that line off of the steel pipe (feed line) and poured water into the radiator.... nothing comes out of that line, but it is still raining down from the back of the engine somewhere. I do not think i have a cracked block or heads... the oil is clear (no signs of water contamination) and so is the Transmission fluid. I've been looking but I cant even find a diagram of what those hoses are or where they go...
I'm going to have to get a bigger inspection mirror or maybe see if someone has one of those flexible camera (bore scope camera?) things.
AutoZone or O'Reillys may have one you can borrow.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
How about the oil filter/cooler. Look at the base of the oil filter in the valley and hope you see no coolant.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
That other hose probably goes into the back of the engine, somewhere near or on the head. I don't know for sure on the 3.6. That's probably your source of water leak.

And a crack in the head that's on the outside of the engine would only leak coolant. It wouldn't mix anything with the oil, and certainly not with the trans fluid.

A blown freeze plug would also be a potential leak source. They're just covers for the holes in the heads and block. If one pops out, all it does is leak coolant. Also, a block heater coming out would cause the same problem.

A better mirror would certainly help you track down the leak.

·
Registered
893 Posts
How about the oil filter/cooler. Look at the base of the oil filter in the valley and hope you see no coolant.
I thought about that, too, but it sounds like he's seeing way too much volume for that. The coolant line into that contraption is very small.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
51,136 Posts
That other hose probably goes into the back of the engine, somewhere near or on the head. I don't know for sure on the 3.6. That's probably your source of water leak.

And a crack in the head that's on the outside of the engine would only leak coolant. It wouldn't mix anything with the oil, and certainly not with the trans fluid.

A blown freeze plug would also be a potential leak source. They're just covers for the holes in the heads and block. If one pops out, all it does is leak coolant. Also, a block heater coming out would cause the same problem.

A better mirror would certainly help you track down the leak.
^^^ The Pentastar blocks and cylinder heads have no freeze plugs! No leaks, no noise, but getting them clean of chips is a lot harder. Also, the parts are now using RFID tags and are marked with build dates and times, and a unique serial number for each major part; they are marked using a unit with a resemblance to a dot-matrix printer.

^^^From pentastar.com

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
^^^ The Pentastar blocks and cylinder heads have no freeze plugs! No leaks, no noise, but getting them clean of chips is a lot harder. Also, the parts are now using RFID tags and are marked with build dates and times, and a unique serial number for each major part; they are marked using a unit with a resemblance to a dot-matrix printer.

^^^From pentastar.com
Good to know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this leak has been minor for the last month or so....adding fluid about once a week...
last night it went critical. I am leaning towards either a hose that goes back into the block (at some point I can't find yet) or a blown freeze plug (which I can't see either).

Considering the location of the leak (unfound as of yet) it looks like its not going to be something as simple as replacing a radiator hose.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Could be that the connection for the other end of that hose developed a crack (started leaking) but recently broke off completely (major leak).

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Cumon man. I’m sitting in Kauai on a beach waiting to hear where the leak came from!!!! PS no Jeep waves here. Too many rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Cumon man. I’m sitting in Kauai on a beach waiting to hear where the leak came from!!!! PS no Jeep waves here. Too many rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL... waiting here too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oil Cooler it is.... Not being familiar with the engine myself, I am unfamiliar with what I was really looking at. Replacing it is not beyond my means/skills, but IS beyond my time... seeing how the jeep is the Wives's every day drive and I'm on 12 hour shifts, we had our regular mech take a look...

Hundred dollar part plus labor makes our Breakdown Insurance well worth the extra premium.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts