Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So I'm driving to work and everything is fine, then about half way there Im having this horrible vibration. I can feel it in my seat.

I thought I had a big chunk of metal in my rear tire at first. Then I thought it eas the drive shaft but I don't think thats what it is. Hopefully some experienced people can help figure it out.

It only does it while rolling and not depressing the accelerator. If I'm on the gas and moving its fine. As soon as I take my foot off the gas it vibrates like crazy. doesn't do it at a dead stop or if I hit the brakes firmly. It feels like its coming from the rear end but could be from under the Jeep.

I checked the suspension, control arms. Drive shaft visually and also didn't feel any loose components. Anyone know what this could be?

Sorry, its a 2007 JK Rubicon unlimited with a suspension BB, and 37s, 6 speed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured out the issue. My drivers side rear wheel had all 5 lug nuts completely loose. I tightened them and took a quick test drive. It seems fine. What are the chances that something got damaged?

I did the rear brakes several months back and I tightened the lugs well. Can all 5 come loose on their own or did someone loosen them?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had that happen on a grand am after having some work done on it. Took it back to the garage, and they were horrified (and very apologetic) that it went out like that.

They checked the rim to make sure the lug holes weren't damaged/elongated and no cracks, and the condition of the studs. All good. Torqued properly, and all was good.

I just did my brakes a few months ago... no such issues. Not sure what'd cause this besides improper torque. I'd get the lugs tight as can be in the air (cross-tightened a few times around the pattern equally) and torqued on the ground.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had all 5 lug bolts on front driver wheel come loose on my gf's Jetta once. They were torqued properly by myself with a torque wrench. I went around twice to make sure they are all torqued to spec. I had to remove and retorque both of her front tires that day, but only one developed the problem. Shortly after we drove for 3 hours to a hike. Finished the hike and started driving back home, when the vibration started right away, and the further we drove the worse it got, to the point where only 2 loose lug bolts were holding the wheel and the other 3 were lost somewhere on the highway. It also didn't help my gf didn't have a tire iron in her trunk :banghead::banghead::banghead:

It's a busy hike and there are lots of people at the parking lot all the time, so I highly doubt some vandal was walking around with a wrench loosening lug nuts in the middle of the day. But I really don't know how this could have happened on its own and so suddenly.

I replaced the 5 lug bolts with new ones as the remaining 2 had visible thread damage. Has been fine since then.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I figured out the issue. My drivers side rear wheel had all 5 lug nuts completely loose. I tightened them and took a quick test drive. It seems fine. What are the chances that something got damaged?

I did the rear brakes several months back and I tightened the lugs well. Can all 5 come loose on their own or did someone loosen them?
If it was loose enough that you had vibration from a loose wheel, then the chances are very high that the wheel studs were damaged. But, if you were able to get the lug nuts tight again the threads that far out were probably not chewed up too bad.

Replacing wheel studs is a pretty quick and cheap job... can be a bit annoying pounding them out but there are lots of Youtube videos with tricks on getting them out, and replaced.

Like a recent thread where someone couldn't imagine both headlights burning out at the same time (they hadn't... they only noticed it when the second one burnt out)... You might have had lug nuts coming loose the day after you did the brakes. Did you retorque them after a short drive? Did you use an actual torque wrench? Do you know if the wrench is accurate?

You just don't notice the problem until you are close to the whole thing failing (all 5 loose)...

It is possible someone loosened them... but your recent work makes me think they weren't torqued and rechecked properly...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Perhaps now is the time to check your other three wheels? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts