Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently got into a 2015 Hard Rock Rubicon with 20,000 miles on er. The thing is I’d like to down size a little from the Bajas that are on it as I feel like maybe they’re a bit too wide for the wheels, although they do look pretty cool it feels slightly difficult to keep tracking a straight line down the highway also this is my first jeep and my first lifted vehicle. I’d really like to try out the BFG A/T’s as they seem like a better every day tire. I really don’t know much at all about tire/load ratings and would like as much info as possible. Also I’d like to run a wider tire than the stock 255 bfg m/t that came on it from factory. Any help and advice would be great and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The tracking issue is probably more related to your lift than your tires. How much lift does it have? You may need longer or adjustable lower control arms on your front axle to correct the caster. If this is the case, changing to smaller tires won't help at all.

·
Hye Climber in Chief
255 Posts
Go for low lying fruit. Check the alignment. Before that, check your tire pressure and experiment with it. Both of these can make a HUGE difference in how your new-to-you Jeep handles. Oh, and post some pix already! Congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I feel your pain. I have a 2015 No Lift or Level kit, with 17'' x 9'' wheels and 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson Tires and it requires 100% of your attention all the time it seems like as they will follow any groove, dip, crown in the road, etc in the road.. I love the wide tire look which is why I bought these this tire size but thinking of going with the 285/75 size here shortly once these wear out.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I feel your pain. I have a 2015 No Lift or Level kit, with 17'' x 9'' wheels and 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson Tires and it requires 100% of your attention all the time it seems like as they will follow any groove, dip, crown in the road, etc in the road.. I love the wide tire look which is why I bought these this tire size but thinking of going with the 285/75 size here shortly once these wear out.
What air pressures are you running? The larger the tire, the less air pressure is required. Try around 28 PSI or so. See how that works.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've been running in the mid to upper 30's but will try it lower to see how that does..

·
Registered
564 Posts
I run my BFG 315, on the same stock wheels, at 32 cold. I can drive with one finger on the highway. I would look into some geo brackets, made my ride better.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I have 315/70/17 MT's and I have zero issues holding a straight line. I run at 32psi.

It sounds like you have other issues there.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bought new tires and made sure to look at the hubs as they were taking wheels off. They still had a couple of those clips they put on at the factory to hold the brake disc/hub on as he goes down the line. The stock wheels apparently have holes big enough to go over them but most after market wheels don't I'm told. Had them take those off and it drives much better as far as maintaining a straight line and not following every line, dip, or crest in the road. Granted some of this might just from having new not quite as wide a tire this go round. Kinda pisses me off that my local Jeep dealer who had been doing my tire rotations with my free oil changes didn't see them and take them off!! They are not thick but having just 2 on there makes the wheel not fit 100% flush to the hub and then each wheel could possibly be ever so slightly angled in different directions...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bought new tires and made sure to look at the hubs as they were taking wheels off. They still had a couple of those clips they put on at the factory to hold the brake disc/hub on as he goes down the line. The stock wheels apparently have holes big enough to go over them but most after market wheels don't I'm told. Had them take those off and it drives much better as far as maintaining a straight line and not following every line, dip, or crest in the road. Granted some of this might just from having new not quite as wide a tire this go round. Kinda pisses me off that my local Jeep dealer who had been doing my tire rotations with my free oil changes didn't see them and take them off!! They are not thick but having just 2 on there makes the wheel not fit 100% flush to the hub and then each wheel could possibly be ever so slightly angled in different directions...
Nice observation. Now I am wondering if mine still have them. I remember something like that but it was 6 years ago when I did my wheels and lift. The larger the diameter the more effect it will have.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have the same tires, no issues, dead straight. Somehow it seems that this thread is blaming the tires, could be anything! Are the axles centered?

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Might have been your issue

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
You have a combination of lift/balancing/alignment or axles issues or any combination.
Or those tires suck.

I have 35x12/5 TOYO R/T with a AEV 2.5 lift and I can do 80 on the highway with 1 finger steering. Grooves or in uneven payment, zero issues. I run 28 psi cold.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts