Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm getting a nice fat check from my Gap insurance company on a different vehicle and will have enough left over to buy tires and to get my jeep regeared. I alreaddy have a procomp 4" lift and 1 1/4" body spacers. I've talked to a guy at my local 4 Wheel Parts nad he said I need 5.1 to get back to stock performance with the 35's I want to buy. (Edit: I have a 2012 JK Sport)

So knowing the following can you guys:

1) Answer if the gearing sounds correct?

2) Give suggestions on good tires that are either 315/75/16 or 35's?

3)Give pro's and con's on 315 vs 35"?

Thanks so much!!:dance:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Hey guys, I'm getting a nice fat check from my Gap insurance company on a different vehicle and will have enough left over to buy tires and to get my jeep regeared. I alreaddy have a procomp 4" lift and 1 1/4" body spacers. I've talked to a guy at my local 4 Wheel Parts nad he said I need 5.1 to get back to stock performance with the 35's I want to buy.

So knowing the following can you guys:

1) Answer if the gearing sounds correct?

2) Give suggestions on good tires that are either 315/75/16 or 35's?

3)Give pro's and con's on 315 vs 35"?

Thanks so much!!:dance:
If you've got a pre '12 Jeep (3.8L engine), and an auto, you'll want 5.13 gears, yes.

Good tires depends on how you're gonna use em. 315 and 35's are pretty much the same, just different designations. Pros...look sweet, will give you some clearance. Cons: you'll need a new tire carrier, should get gussets for your weak front axle C's, need to spend the $$ for regearing, and your mileage will take a nosedive.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
will my mpg go back up after regearing?
A little bit. Maybe 1-2 mpgs, if you get your rpms back into the sweet spot. Around 2500 rpms in high gear. But you won't recover anywhere near what you lose by running the heavier, wider tires. That's unsprung weight, and it'll bill you for every mile...

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
ToBurkeUlosis said:
will my mpg go back up after regearing?
Are you in a 2012+ or not? Auto trans or manual?

Going to 35s is going to impact your mpgs and power no matter what, but it'll be worse with the pre-2012 3.8 engine, and worse with an auto trans.

Regearing usually gives back some mpgs, but it's not going to bring it back to stock levels.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
ToBurkeUlosis said:
I'm in a 2012 m/t JK sport.
Alright, then 5.13s is way, way too much gear for 35s. 4.10s should be good. Maybe 4.56s. I'm on my iPhone, but somebody should come around and post the gear ratio chart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts