Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i'm in the process of rebuilding my 91 4.0. i have a sensor that the ceramic piece is broken on it and i need to replace it. i can't figure out what it is. the only numbers on it are 12v (obvious what that means) and 0711. it looks like it a water temp sensor or something. might be the sensor on the top of motor towards the back on the drivers side?

i just got all the parts back from machine shop and cleaned up all the bolts and other parts that didnt get hot tanked today, found the sensor in a box with pushrods and head bolts for some reason. (i'm generally good about labeling things) but cant figure out what this is. any help is appreciated, will get a pic tomorrow

·
Registered
357 Posts
If it's under the back of the wiring harness in the top of the head it's probably the water temp switch. There are two water temp senders, one there and one at the t-stat housing. I believe the one in the back is for the temp idiot light.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let me rephrase. my engine is completely apart. the sensor isnt installed anywhere at the moment, but is broken. i need to know (by the part #0711) what this sensor is and where it goes. i think that it is the temp switch for the gauge but not positive. i need someone to verify for me that is the correct sensor so i know which part to buy and replace

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You should probably post a pic of the busted sensor, or measure it and post it on here. I want to say o2 sensor hearing it was porcelyn, but need more info

·
Registered
357 Posts
You should probably post a pic of the busted sensor, or measure it and post it on here. I want to say o2 sensor hearing it was porcelyn, but need more info
Yeah, I was looking at sensors online, and so far the only ceramic one I've found is the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, sorry for the confusion. The sensor is not all porcelain, just has a collar around it that is. Here's two pics (beside a penny for size)

ForumRunner_20111228_092410.jpg

ForumRunner_20111228_092430.jpg

You can see in the pics where the ceramic collar us broken just above the hex

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Look at the thermostat housing and make sure theres a sensor in there.. not something you'd typically remove when pulling apart a motor.. the likely candidate would be what I described above but rule out the thermostat housing temp sensor too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts