Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a message about a rattle going over rough roads a while back. I found that the shop did not properly torque the front shock towers when installing the lift. I re-torqued the shocks and after a couple days went by, I began to hear a random pop noise in the front passengers side firewall area when I either accelerate quickly or hit a large bump.

I had my buddy rock the Jeep back and forth and it didn't seem to come from underneath in any of the suspension area, but from the body area directly in front of the windshield.

I am not sure what do now other than possibly loosen everything underneath and retorque as something may be binding?

any ideas?

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Check sway links to see they are tight too. If the shop skipped on tightening the shocks, they may have overlooked those too. They can cause a clanking noise when going over speed bumps or washboard type roads. Might start with that. Also, more info on the lift and what's been modded always helps us to diagnose. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check sway links to see they are tight too. If the shop skipped on tightening the shocks, they may have overlooked those too. They can cause a clanking noise when going over speed bumps or washboard type roads. Might start with that. Also, more info on the lift and what's been modded always helps us to diagnose. :)
I checked everything underneath for torque although I did not loosen then retighten. The lift is a Teraflex coil lift with shock extenders and rear trackbar relocation bracket. Everything has been just dandy until I decided to tighten the shocks up. I alleviated one issue and gained another... :censored:

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Since it's Teraflex, are you using the stock wheels with it?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I checked everything underneath for torque although I did not loosen then retighten. The lift is a Teraflex coil lift with shock extenders and rear trackbar relocation bracket. Everything has been just dandy until I decided to tighten the shocks up. I alleviated one issue and gained another... :censored:

Did you check the track bar at the frame? Mine was loose once and popped when I turned right I beleive.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Oh.. the wheel well liner on my passenger side would hit the upper coil mount and pop after my lift..I had to trim it a bit...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh.. the wheel well liner on my passenger side would hit the upper coil mount and pop after my lift..I had to trim it a bit...
Will definitely check this as I was poking at it this morning and it sounded the same. They also seem to pop out of the holes fairly easily...

If I loosen everything up front, should I get the front end off the ground then let it back down to tighten? Or just loosen, then tighten while it's on the ground?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I figured out the popping noise.

It is coming from where the fender meets the top metal cover in front of the windshield. It is almost like the metal is "oil canning". I am going to pop the top metal off, loosen the fender bolts and re tighten when I get home.

Not sure if it was just coincidence tightening the shock towers and the tightening caused the fender to bind somehow. Or maybe here in FL we are hitting 90 degrees and the metal is expanding. :pullinghair:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a popping noise for about a year. I couldn't figure it out. I finally figured out that it was coming from my driver's side A pillar. I loosened the two bolts on the outside of the A pillar, shook the Jeep like crazy, and re-tightened. I haven't had the noise since.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a popping noise for about a year. I couldn't figure it out. I finally figured out that it was coming from my driver's side A pillar. I loosened the two bolts on the outside of the A pillar, shook the Jeep like crazy, and re-tightened. I haven't had the noise since.
That's exactly where the noise was. I removed the cover, cleaned it up and uninstalled it. It was binding against the front firewall area.

Funny thing is, before I found the issue, I had to take the jeep in for service for something else and I told the tech to check for the sound. He said it was the electronic disconnect and that the popping was "normal". I lol'd at him and told him never to touch my jeep again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts