Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 JKU
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking to return for my 3 year hiatus from jeeps, and I'm currently eyeing at an 07 X w/ a 6speed, 46k on the odo. Dealership wants 19k, which was 1k more than when I test drove it. It's got some niggles that I'm not too bothered with after owning a TJ, but I can definitely work them into bringing the price down.

Now, this will be the first time I've actually gone in and haggled on a vehicle, so I want to know how realistic I need to be. I was considering offering 13-14k up front since it hasn't had the soft top bow replaced as per the recall, the spare wheel and tire don't match, there is some surface rust in the trunk compartment, it was involved in an accident, causing damage on the right rear(which was replaced/repaired), and there are leaks where the top meets the top of the door. I'm also noting that the MSRP on a 2014 X is 22k, with the updated interior and better engine.

Am I being crazy, should I go lower, or am I about right? The test drive went fine, but since I wasn't able to make a purchase that day, I didn't take a real serious look.

·
Registered
272 Posts
19k is way high. If that jeep was on my lot I would have it listed at 15,991 sell for 14,500

Last week I sold a 2009 clean Rubicon unlimited with 80k miles, new brakes and tires with hard top and new windshield for 19,694.00. Seller was from WI and flew in and drove it home from Houston.

Also sold a 2006 today with 72k miles with custom bumpers, 2 tops and 2 sets of wheels and tires for 13k

Clean carfaxes on both.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I think it's way overpriced, you've seen a way better deal on a new one. Yes you're crazy to buy the old one for 15% less $$$.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I bought my 07 bare bones 2 door X 2 years ago with 32k on it for 16k (on paper..there was a trade involved but I got KBB value on it). I am fairly confident I got a really good deal then, and I have looked since and used Jeep prices seem to magically stay the same, even as they get older and the mileage increases. There is absolutely no way I would ever pay 19 or 20k for a 2007 regardless of mileage.

Over the years there have been numerous updates to the JK so unless you can get a great deal on this particular Jeep I'd look for a newer/better condition one. It sounds like this Jeep may have a lot of issues from the quick rundown you gave. I would offer in the 13-14k range like you said, and be prepared to walk away. Dealers know that Jeeps command high retail because if you are shopping for a Jeep Wrangler, you aren't looking for anything else but a Jeep Wrangler. They all sell.

Don't get discouraged if you can't strike a deal on this one, there will be others. Consider a brand new one if you can afford it. The lower APR on financing might make the payments similar to buying used. The new 2012+ engine is absolutely worth it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would run not walk away from this deal. If the dealer increased the price by $1000 after you test drove it, it sounds like they are not very honest at all. And as others have noted, $19,000 is WAAAAYYY high for this jeep. I have a 2011 JK Sport S that I bought brand new in July 2011 and only paid $23000 OTD for it. What else will they pad their pocket with if you were to buy it and bring it there for service? Also, you say you found a 2014 base for only $3000 more than one that is 7 years older?? Sounds like a no brainer to me. I would purchase the newer one and have a possible factory warranty, upgraded interior/engine, and most importantly.....more piece of mind.

·
Registered
2016 JKU
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would run not walk away from this deal. If the dealer increased the price by $1000 after you test drove it, it sounds like they are not very honest at all. And as others have noted, $19,000 is WAAAAYYY high for this jeep. I have a 2011 JK Sport S that I bought brand new in July 2011 and only paid $23000 OTD for it. What else will they pad their pocket with if you were to buy it and bring it there for service? Also, you say you found a 2014 base for only $3000 more than one that is 7 years older?? Sounds like a no brainer to me. I would purchase the newer one and have a possible factory warranty, upgraded interior/engine, and most importantly.....more piece of mind.
The MSRP I found was listed on the internet, I've yet to find one at a dealer around here going for that.

And I don't know why the price went up. I test drove it, and a week later while I was at AT, I saw they increased the price online.

·
Registered
2016 JKU
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, went to the dealer, their new price was 20k. Dealer didn't want to budge, even though I found a pool of water in the trunk compartment, and there was no soundbar, and all this other stuff, I guess he just thought his jeep was hot stuff. Needless to say, I said thanks for their time and walked out. I'm looking at a 2012 that I found today that's going for less, so I'm hoping it all checks out.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Come down to Charleston, plenty to choose from on all of the lots. Thought I saw several pre-owned's at Hoover in Summerville passing by last weekend.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Once you get into 'Jeep hunting mode' there is an amazingly large and ever-growing supply of potential quarry that reveals itself as your senses sharpen on what you want & what is or isn't a 'good deal'.

It took nearly a year to explore the market & eventually stumble across my privately owned JK at literally the last moment before I almost signed with a dealer on a new one.

There's ALWAYS a bigger trophy down the road 30 seconds after you bag the one you think you want.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bought my 2011 jk sport with a brand new set of studded winter tires and only 36000 kms (20000 miles) for 17000... I think i got a steal of a deal

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Shop around for a JK that has not been involved in an accident.

With the top not lining up and water damage inside it sounds like a problem child.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Glad you walked away from that dealer. That jeep was soooo not worth what they wanted......especially with the water/leakage issues, no sound bar, etc. PLUS with all the money you would have had to spend to fix all of this stuff you coulda bought a new or near new one.

Keep looking until you find exactly (or as close as you can) what you want. It will come along. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts