Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a 3.25 in suspension lift on my 2010 sahara unlimited. I'm debating if i should get 33s or 35s. I'm new to this so please help with whatever you can. what will i need to get for each? will i Need to regear?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I went with A TF 2.5" lift a few months back with the plan on 33's. Shortly after I met a guy in my local jeep club that was running Nitto trail grapplers 35x12.5x17 and I was in awe. They had the look and stance that I wanted. I may have drooled a little. Quickly decided that's the look and tire I wanted, the wife agreed. I'm running 3:21 gears but here in South alabama it's pretty flat and everyone says I will be fine for now. I'm going to have the money to regear set aside but I will run the 35's and see how they do. No sense in spending the money if I don't need to right away. When I do regear it will be 4:56.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Great video. What struck me was the subtle "messages" communicated from the "old guys" -vs- the youngsters :) Funny..... for anyone with teenage boys (mine are 18,19,22) you know this video could have been about anyone of 30+ of Lifes topics...

Conservative isn't sexy but its usually the better option in the long run.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
I'm getting a 3.25 in suspension lift on my 2010 sahara unlimited. I'm debating if i should get 33s or 35s. I'm new to this so please help with whatever you can. what will i need to get for each? will i Need to regear?
I would suggest 35's with that size Lift, but you'll want to make sure you have the gearing for it. Otherwise you can get away with a shorter lift and go with the 33's to save a few dollars all the way around. There is nothing wrong with 3.25" and 35's or even 33's if you like the look!

Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been over the same question in my head plenty of times when planning my jeep! I'm probably going to end up right in the middle 34's. Hate to toss another size at you but its worth a look!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have 33" tires on stock rims and a Teraflex 2.5" coil spring lift on my 12' JKUR with 4.10 gearing--it works great offroad. I had a treaflex leveling kit before and it would rub offroad. The lifts actually look about the same on my rig. I am happy. I see a lot more issues going with 35" tires all around, tire costs, mpg, wear and tear, drivesafts, etc--with 35s, I would re-gear even with 4.10s and an auto, but that is my preference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have 33" tires on stock rims and a Teraflex 2.5" coil spring lift on my 12' JKUR with 4.10 gearing--it works great offroad. I had a treaflex leveling kit before and it would rub offroad. The lifts actually look about the same on my rig. I am happy. I see a lot more issues going with 35" tires all around, tire costs, mpg, wear and tear, drivesafts, etc--with 35s, I would re-gear even with 4.10s and an auto, but that is my preference.
Would you toss up some pics?

Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm getting a 2.5" lift and am going with 33" Duratracs which are big 33" tires. As big as some 34" tires.

I thought about going with 35s but I have 3.73 gears and didn't want to regear, buy a new carrier, brake light extension, or have less power on highways ...33" just made more sense for me.

Can't go wrong either way!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think 35's look better on the 4-doors and 33's look better on the 2-doors. I would go with the 35's if I were you.
I agree. They do look better and are slightly better offroad, but then 40s look even better and are even better offroad....... everything gets much more expensive. Don't forget the Cs will probable need reinforcing with 35s. Eventually the drivesaft, ball joints, etc. I have been thinking about doing the Cs with 33s as I offroad a lot in the summers. For me this is a perfect compromise. I can do some trails in the Sierra safely with my family and then drive home at 70 mph. I have been on 7+ rated trails so far with no problems. I plan on doing the Rubicon in a year or two with this setup. I may reinforce the Cs and and get better rock rails and that will be it.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
3.5 with 35's. 4:10 auto. Looks great IMO. Getting the caster and aligning right, a whole other story. Lol. But you modify I guess you need to expect issues that need to be resolved. I've definitely had mine. It's on a slanted driveway so the front looks higher. When on a flat street it's level.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
3.5 with 35's. 4:10 auto. Looks great IMO. Getting the caster and aligning right, a whole other story. Lol. But you modify I guess you need to expect issues that need to be resolved. I've definitely had mine. It's on a slanted driveway so the front looks higher. When on a flat street it's level.
Looks great. Have you offroaded it yet? How was the 4 low hit? I noticed a loss just going to 33s. I purchased brackets to fix my caster before I put on the 2.5" lift, but did not need them.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Looks great. Have you offroaded it yet? How was the 4 low hit? I noticed a loss just going to 33s. I purchased brackets to fix my caster before I put on the 2.5" lift, but did not need them.
No I literally got it back from the shop today. Had some serious alignment issues and took several shops to get it where it is now. Not the kits fault. It was people who didn't understand how to adjust the kit. Taking it to big bear Feb 7th. Will report back.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Old guy here so call it being too cautious......when I "built my TJ" I went a very small lift and 33"s...just enough lift that it worked off road but drove well on the street. It was a great Jeep and did very well for this area for the wheeling that we do.

I say "was" because I sold the TJ recently to build my '12 JK...but again trying to keep it (the JK) very close to stock to stay "cheaper" and not have to do as many Mods.

I went with the stock size Duratracs, allows me to keep factory wheels, and am waiting for my OME 2" SL, in the "heavy" variety. I will be adding the ACE bumpers front and rear and a Warn winch. I feel from my past experience with OME and where I wheel that this will be the best for me. I wheeled most everything in the TJ on 33"s, and the Duratracs in the "stock size" are "S'POSEDLY" 32.6" in height. (at least that is what the shop said)

This keeps me from needing to regear or address axle/ driveshaft issues...but I will be doing front gussets as well.

To run 33"s off road IMO you would probably need the regear,and there is no question you would need it for 35"s on the street or off road. You can get away with not doing the regear if you don't wheel with the 33"s...probably. The other factor is your motor..not knocking it but you do have a little less HP to work with in a larger (JKU) and that will make a difference as well. GOOD LUCK!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts