Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1990 Wrangler, 2.5 L engine. It's a basic stock beach jeep. The plugs,
alternator, battery all work fine. I have power. I checked the distributor cap, it was clean, the those plugs are good. The engine will only engage if I spray starter fluid in the air box. Is the next step to check the fuel filter? After I start it with starter fluid it idles, it doesn't die, but the idle sounds rough. Like it's "missing".. Is the fuel line blocked or fuel filter clogged?
It's not engaging as I turn it over. Any advice on the next thing to check would be great.
I'd hate have to take it in to a mechanic for something simple. Also, what's the best online guide to repair my Jeep? Thanks out there for your help. Kevin

·
Registered
303 Posts
For an engine to run you need fuel, spark and air. If it only starts with start fluid, then I would suggest you begin by a thorough cleaning of the carb / throttle body / injectors. replace the fuel filter and check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi,

I have a 1990 Wrangler, 2.5 L engine. It's a basic stock beach jeep. The plugs,
alternator, battery all work fine. I have power. I checked the distributor cap, it was clean, the those plugs are good. The engine will only engage if I spray starter fluid in the air box. Is the next step to check the fuel filter? After I start it with starter fluid it idles, it doesn't die, but the idle sounds rough. Like it's "missing".. Is the fuel line blocked or fuel filter clogged?
It's not engaging as I turn it over. Any advice on the next thing to check would be great.
I'd hate have to take it in to a mechanic for something simple. Also, what's the best online guide to repair my Jeep? Thanks out there for your help. Kevin
Get you a factory service manual

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Well if it only runs in starting fluid you have a fuel delivery issue.

Change fuel filter first. You may need to check fuel pressure at the TBI and see what it is I believe TBI is 14 psi MPFI is 30-40 I'll have to look it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts