Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,452 Posts
You can hunt your own, but here is a like to Amazon's full set.

I pulled one of my bumper bolts and am thinking it's more like M14 (14mm). But if you buy the set you don't have to worry.

However the front bolt on the sway bar clamp is definitely a M10x1.5. (The 1.5 is the pitch of the threads) the bolt is 35mm long (about 1 1/4 inch). I pulled one and used my screw sizer on it. I tried the bumper bolt but did not try the 1/2" and my sizer only goes up to M12s.

You are also missing the cover that goes over the sway bar.

Here is the link to the set of bumper bolts -

You will need a T55 torx socket. You can buy one:

Or a set:
Which will be handy if you don't already have a few. There are a LOT of Torx screws and bolts on a Jeep.

The bumper cover is available from a number of sources. You can drop by your local dealer and order part 55155667AG, but the over the counter prices is $114. Quadratec has it for $103, there are several at various on line Mopar store, but the best price is this one on ebay. Used but looks good.

That takes 4 hex washer head sheet metal screws and I used the wrong sizer on them. They are about 1/4" in diameter across the threads which may make it a #12. If you get a cover, swing by a full service hardware store and buy 1 if it's close, if not and they are cheap, buy 4. They will probably be galvanized, so stick them in a piece of a box to hold them and paint them black.

Reactions: crazycarwes

·
Knows a couple things...
49,964 Posts
You can hunt your own, but here is a like to Amazon's full set.

I pulled one of my bumper bolts and am thinking it's more like M14 (14mm). But if you buy the set you don't have to worry.
If you have a TJ it's the above referenced 1/2-13.

·
Registered
669 Posts
View attachment 4528829

can someone help with what size bolt I need??? It’s on front bumper.
98 TJ
Thank you in advance
Pop on over to your local auto parts store and they will be happy to help you out. Most will let you try out the bolt to make sure it works, and maybe even help you install it.

Not to be sexist, however, this is the time to pull out and use your "Woman Card" and let a guy use his "Hero Card" to help you out here.

·
Premium Member
9,452 Posts
Axlroads - if you also want to replace the missing tow hooks, here is a cost effective set:

Quadratec is a vendor of Jeep only parts. They also offer Wrangler Forum members a discount most of their items. The only things I have come across that don't qualify are Mopar decals. Simple contact their customer service department by phone or email, explain that you are a WF member, ask to be set up for the discount and ask for a quote. The discount is not applied on screen to on online orders, but is applied at the time the invoice is generated.

Also, if that were my Jeep, I would take the plastic ends off (referred to by many as the milk jugs) and toss them. They serve little purpose, are easy to damage, fade with time and as you see in the photos, the screws rust. I actually did that with mine. I left the ends open for a good while but then got the end cover kit that goes on with push pins. I also removed my bumpers (your front one is almost off with possibly only the bottom screws hold in on), removed the pads and painted the bumper with a couple coats of Rustoleum black paint. Made a lot of difference in it's appearance.

I personally think the bumper looks better without the add on ends.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Exactly, good opportunity to get rid of the torx.

I go to Ace hardware and pickup grade 8 hardware for anything I need to replace.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Best place around here is Tractor Supply. You can buy Grade 5 and Grade8 bolts by the pound many times almost as cheap as buying one or two at a hardware store.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Th
Axlroads - if you also want to replace the missing tow hooks, here is a cost effective set:

Quadratec is a vendor of Jeep only parts. They also offer Wrangler Forum members a discount most of their items. The only things I have come across that don't qualify are Mopar decals. Simple contact their customer service department by phone or email, explain that you are a WF member, ask to be set up for the discount and ask for a quote. The discount is not applied on screen to on online orders, but is applied at the time the invoice is generated.

Also, if that were my Jeep, I would take the plastic ends off (referred to by many as the milk jugs) and toss them. They serve little purpose, are easy to damage, fade with time and as you see in the photos, the screws rust. I actually did that with mine. I left the ends open for a good while but then got the end cover kit that goes on with push pins. I also removed my bumpers (your front one is almost off with possibly only the bottom screws hold in on), removed the pads and painted the bumper with a couple coats of Rustoleum black paint. Made a lot of difference in it's appearance.

I personally think the bumper looks better without the add on ends.
Thank you, I’ll try that and see how it looks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pop on over to your local auto parts store and they will be happy to help you out. Most will let you try out the bolt to make sure it works, and maybe even help you install it.

Not to be sexist, however, this is the time to pull out and use your "Woman Card" and let a guy use his "Hero Card" to help you out here.
Hubby found right bolts and put them on, I am replacing the bumper though soon and “we” will install a winch :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts