Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get new shocks for my JKUR. No lift, all factory. I've been researching shocks, and I think I'm reading too much into them, and just confusing myself. Thus the purpose of this thread...

I'm almost tempted to just get the Rancho 9000 adjustable ones. I guess using fluid film on them isn't a big deal, or even painting them. But I don't see myself adjusting them to dial in any type of ride.

I also don't mind spending a little more for a better shock as well. I don't want to have to add any more bump stops for anything either. Just a bolt on and go.

I have read about Fox and Bilstein. Are they better than Rancho? It seems Rancho is very popular over those 2, and I want to make sure that's just not because of price.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,727 Posts
Rancho is a great value oriented shock. The build quality isn't great, but it is a very good value for the dollar. Price is a key selling point of Rancho.
Fox shocks are much nicer, with better build quality. And arguably, Fox shocks are better shocks. But they are more expensive.
Bilstein seem to be in something of a no mans land in the middle. Not a higher quality shock like Fox, but more expensive than Rancho.
There are other brands as well, like OME.
If I was buying a shock for stock height and I could afford Fox, that is what I would want. Of note, Fox shocks are what is used in the Mopar 2" lift. They are a quality shock. But if you want an adjustable shock it is hard to beat the Rancho 9000 series. Just watch for issues with the poor finish (paint them or fluidfilm them) and issues with the adjuster knob (taking it off and greasing it is a common prevention step).

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,233 Posts
I switched to Bilstein 5100's recently and can tell you for me, they are perfect. Day to day they are a little firmer than I would like but I have AEV bumpers, skid plates and a roof rack, so firm is ok. When I load up to travel they have made the ride a lot more comfortable and roll less around corners. By loaded I mean a 170lb dog, 50lb dog, cooler, large tent, camping gear, 5 gallons of fuel, 14 gallons of water, recovery gear and a (ahem) 130lb wife. That's when they are oaying their dues.

I had Rancho 9000's and just didn't like the feel. Adjusting them from day use to overland use did help (4 and 8) but not in the way they are marketed.

I know there are guys happy with their Teraflex units, but I have read about several recent failures. Rubicon Express to a lesser degree, Old Man Emu (OME) have been building overland and offroad suspensions for ever. Priced close to the Fox range, which aside from Kings, have the highest praise online for offroading applications.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I switched to Bilstein 5100's recently and can tell you for me, they are perfect. Day to day they are a little firmer than I would like but I have AEV bumpers, skid plates and a roof rack, so firm is ok. When I load up to travel they have made the ride a lot more comfortable and roll less around corners. By loaded I mean a 170lb dog, 50lb dog, cooler, large tent, camping gear, 5 gallons of fuel, 14 gallons of water, recovery gear and a (ahem) 130lb wife. That's when they are oaying their dues.

I had Rancho 9000's and just didn't like the feel. Adjusting them from day use to overland use did help (4 and 8) but not in the way they are marketed.

I know there are guys happy with their Teraflex units, but I have read about several recent failures. Rubicon Express to a lesser degree, Old Man Emu (OME) have been building overland and offroad suspensions for ever. Priced close to the Fox range, which aside from Kings, have the highest praise online for offroading applications.
How come there aren’t a larger number of posts about OME shocks?

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,233 Posts
OME is Australian and comes with a sturdy import tax, just like ARB. Their stock height shocks are comparable to Bilstein in price, but their suspension kits for 2.5" and over run the higher end of kits. They usually associated with overlanding groups not the DD and Mall Crawlers that frequent this site. Northridge has both Bilstein and OME around the $80 range per corner.

·
Super Moderator
5,727 Posts
How come there aren’t a larger number of posts about OME shocks?
I mentioned them. I had a set (two sets, actually) and I liked them. Firmer than stock but still compliant. I am pretty sure the shocks MetalCloak sells are OME shocks in red. And they also get a lot of props. But I think they may only offer the taller version, I don't know if MC sell a stock suitable version like OME does.
But, as mentioned, OME are not a big name in this country. Brands like Rancho and Bilstein get all the attention for steel bodied shocks, but OME is a nice steel bodied shock. Not as high end as Fox, but I think it is a great shock for a reasonable price. Not as cheap as Rancho, but close enough.

That you are looking for a no lift shock limits your choices. I am not sure TF makes a Falcon for you, and a few other brands either don't make a no lift shock or they don't offer their better shocks at no lift. It isn't a common market segment.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mentioned them. I had a set (two sets, actually) and I liked them. Firmer than stock but still compliant. I am pretty sure the shocks MetalCloak sells are OME shocks in red. And they also get a lot of props. But I think they may only offer the taller version, I don't know if MC sell a stock suitable version like OME does.
But, as mentioned, OME are not a big name in this country. Brands like Rancho and Bilstein get all the attention for steel bodied shocks, but OME is a nice steel bodied shock. Not as high end as Fox, but I think it is a great shock for a reasonable price. Not as cheap as Rancho, but close enough.

That you are looking for a no lift shock limits your choices. I am not sure TF makes a Falcon for you, and a few other brands either don't make a no lift shock or they don't offer their better shocks at no lift. It isn't a common market segment.
Makes sense. So far, I’m considering Rancho, Fox or OME. I’ve been reading that others have said Fox was a little stiff for on road.

·
Super Moderator
5,727 Posts
Makes sense. So far, I’m considering Rancho, Fox or OME. I’ve been reading that others have said Fox was a little stiff for on road.
Everyone has their own tastes. But while I have heard from people with Bilsteins (including my sister in-law) that Bilsteins are on the stiff side I am not sure I would call Fox "stiff". Firm, perhaps, but not stiff.
Fox shocks are an aluminum bodied shock with a high pressure nitrogen charge. They are a nice shock, offering a firmer ride while still having the required compliance to give a nice ride. But, as mentioned, everyone has their own tastes. The OME shocks I had worked great with the Rancho 2" progressive springs, Those springs are kinda firm, and the OME shocks offset that somewhat, making the ride nicer. But when I switched springs and went with the Mopar 2" springs (a spring closer in rate to the stock springs) the OME shocks were a little to soft for my tastes. At that point I swapped back to the Rancho shocks and that worked better, with more body control. Funny, I did not like the Rancho's as much as the OME shocks when using the Rancho springs. The Rancho 5000's were too firm for my tastes when coupled to the Rancho progressive 2" springs. Maybe I would have been happier with the Rancho 9000 series. Too late now.
But again, to each their own. Shocks are like ice cream, everyone has their preferences. There is no "Best Flavor".

·
Registered
352 Posts

I wanna see a pic of the 170lb dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I put the Rancho 9000's along with Rancho's 2" sport lift on in May. Its only been a few months but so far so good. Adjusting them literally takes a minute and is very useful. I clear coated them before install and took off the adjustment knobs and greased them real good. I also Fluid Filmed them after install.

On a side note I'm not sure I'd fluid film them again. Attracted too much dirt and grime.

Reactions: Rancho

·
Registered
160 Posts
I put the Rancho 9000's along with Rancho's 2" sport lift on in May. Its only been a few months but so far so good. Adjusting them literally takes a minute and is very useful. I clear coated them before install and took off the adjustment knobs and greased them real good. I also Fluid Filmed them after install.

On a side note I'm not sure I'd fluid film them again. Attracted too much dirt and grime.
good to hear. I have the 9000's going on with an RK lift next week (thanks Krawl Offroad!) Bought a rattle can of clear to go on them due to reviews but was wondering about Fluid Film or something

Reactions: Rancho

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
good to hear. I have the 9000's going on with an RK lift next week (thanks Krawl Offroad!) Bought a rattle can of clear to go on them due to reviews but was wondering about Fluid Film or something

YouTube "Rancho 9000 grease mod". I did that before install too. I Read the knobs get hard to turn after a while. This is supposed to help.

(I'd attach the vid but have no idea how).

·
Vendor
2,878 Posts
If you don't see yourself adjusting look to the RS5000X too.

It will not have as high a gas charge as the others you mentioned too.

So a nice ride feel on the road.

Matt

I'd like to get new shocks for my JKUR. No lift, all factory. I've been researching shocks, and I think I'm reading too much into them, and just confusing myself. Thus the purpose of this thread...

I'm almost tempted to just get the Rancho 9000 adjustable ones. I guess using fluid film on them isn't a big deal, or even painting them. But I don't see myself adjusting them to dial in any type of ride.

I also don't mind spending a little more for a better shock as well. I don't want to have to add any more bump stops for anything either. Just a bolt on and go.

I have read about Fox and Bilstein. Are they better than Rancho? It seems Rancho is very popular over those 2, and I want to make sure that's just not because of price.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a stock 2018 2 door JK Willys edition, with what I understand comes with Rubicon springs and shocks.

Anyone have a comparison from the stock Willys 2 door rubicon shocks againt Rancho-5000, Rancho-9000, Fox, etc?

Looking for a less harsh ride and something better on dirt washboard road parts and bumps and such. So a good on-road and off-road compromise.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Or just look for some Rubicon take-offs on Craigs List or elsewhere. That's what I did for my '12 JKUR; about $120 with shipping.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have a stock 2018 2 door JK Willys edition, with what I understand comes with Rubicon springs and shocks.

Anyone have a comparison from the stock Willys 2 door rubicon shocks againt Rancho-5000, Rancho-9000, Fox, etc?

Looking for a less harsh ride and something better on dirt washboard road parts and bumps and such. So a good on-road and off-road compromise.
It's my understanding that the Rancho 5000's are very similar to stock Rubicon shocks. Also, the 9000's on the 5th adjustment is pretty much stock Rubi shocks too.

Reactions: Mikester86
1 - 20 of 20 Posts