Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM currently running without one and can't pass state inspection. Couple people suggested a cherry bomb muffler but honestly I don't want something quite that loud. Really looking for something that gives it a deep sound at idle, but after that I don't want too much noise. Still want to be able to press the gas and not cause too much racket in the neighbor hood. Suggestions?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm happy with the thrush welded i just installed on my lj. Deep and throaty but not too loud even dumped right off the muffler. On cold start up the drone is horrendous but seems to go away after it warms up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just recently installed a Walker Stainless steel Quiet Flow(#21337) muffler. Happy with the fit along with a quiet sound at any speed.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Banks Monster Exhaust. Complete bolt-on and easily removable. I ran into a similar situation when I needed a muffler to pass emissions testing here in CO. My previous muffler and tail pipe got trashed and fell off on a rocky trail previously. I bought the Banks Monster Exhaust, complete with tail pipe (its needed here for them to attach their equipment to). The minute I passed inspection, I removed the tailpipe so it won't get caught up on the rocks and replaced with a turndown.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Thrush Welded for $35!!!! :iamhappy:

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Some jerk put a flowmaster on my jeep before I bought it. It's okay. It's deep and sounds pretty good...I've got enough loud cars, so I wish it was stock. I won't change it until I have to as cheapness rules all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I, like many previous posters, went with thrush. I'm not quite as happy as most others. For the price it's unbeatable, but I now wish I'd spent a few dollars more to get something more mellow. A friend has a flowmaster 50 series on his 4.0 Comanche and it has the sound I was after. Deep mellow growl. But keep in mind, mine is a daily driver and i'm old.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
IM currently running without one and can't pass state inspection. Couple people suggested a cherry bomb muffler but honestly I don't want something quite that loud.
Wait, wait, wait. You currently have no muffler at all, but you're afraid if you install a cherry bomb the Jeep will be too loud?!?

·
Commercial Member
7,139 Posts
Some jerk put a flowmaster on my jeep before I bought it. It's okay. It's deep and sounds pretty good...I've got enough loud cars, so I wish it was stock. I won't change it until I have to as cheapness rules all.
I sold the flowmaster that was on mine, shipped it, bought a thrush, and made $5 on the deal... Plus got a more quiet setup;)

·
Knows a couple things...
48,957 Posts
I also was happy with the Thrush muffler I put on my previous TJ. The first Thrush was smaller and a little too loud but the muffler shop replaced it with a little larger Thrush at no charge and it was perfect with a good low throaty sound. I wouldn't pay the big bucks for an overpriced big brand mail order cat back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts