Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just purchased a 2 inch smittybuilt receiver for my 2014 4 door wrangler. My question is do I need to remove rear bumper for install? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
You do not need to remove the rear bumper but it is a tight fit and it helps if you have long fingers and a lot patience. And as always I coat everything with Anti-seize, keeps the water out and the rust down.

Also I run the 4 pin wiring harness from the left tail light and just used a self tapping screw to mount the ground wire to the body behind the light.

Good Luck

Terry F.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
The bumper is very easy to take off. There are 4 bolts if I remember right and the bumper is crazy light, like 5 pounds. It would probably much easier to take the bumper off and have easy access to the frame to mount the hitch.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I bought the Quadratec kit which has the nuts welded onto the bracket on the backside, so the bumper was a non-issue. If the Smitty has the loose nuts then you will want to take the bumper off. Then the bolts can come in from the rear and it all becomes a lot easier.

Like Blue Baby, the exhaust was more of an issue for me, but just required a little wiggling to get the bolts in and a lot of clanging of the ratchet against the muffler.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just did mine last weekend. It was the Rugged Ridge hitch so I needed to torque the bolt while putting a second wrench on the nut to keep it from spinning. Between that and the washers that needed to be put on the bolts I ended up deciding it was easier to remove the bumper. And it was.

1. Remove the spare tire
  2. On the left side of the bumper, remove the two bolts. Repeat for the right side of the bumper.
  3. Two more bolts hold the bumper to the frame with some L brackets. Remove those bolts as well.
  4. Twist, jiggle and whatnot the bumper up and out. It will get a little hung up on the license plate frame but it will come easily out without scratching paint if your carefull.
  5. Install the hitch.
  6. Reverse above directions to install bumper again.
See this video from about 1:24 on for a visual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEK0O8xF-pY&spfreload=10

1 - 7 of 7 Posts