Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am trying to get the effin shift knob to come off, even tried a 2x4 and ratchet strap and that didn't work, I know the knob should pull off but it is like this thing was bolted in place just to annoy me, does anyone have any suggestions for removing it so I can remove the console and clean the dirt and crap out?

Thanks!!!!:pcwhack::atomic:

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Removing the trim on the shifter is not necessary. I just did this and both the 6 speed knob and the TC knob came off in 2 seconds with almost no effort.

As you pull upwards, twist the knobs left and right rapidly.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Removing the trim on the shifter is not necessary. I just did this and both the 6 speed knob and the TC knob came off in 2 seconds with almost no effort.

As you pull upwards, twist the knobs left and right rapidly.
You had a loosey-goosey then. Mine was night/day difference depending on the trim ring.

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
Remove the trim, that’s what I did.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
My shifter knob came off fairly easy. I thought I was going to destroy the transfer case getting the knob off of it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Listening for some replies that make sense. I've tried to get my Transfer case knob off and the darn thing will not budget whatsoever...anything that can be done other then just get a good grip and pull?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:pcwhack:well the videos are nice but I already know how to get the console out, :doh: I am requiring the removal of the actual knob with the shift pattern as it is a well we all know the "politically correct" term for the Lady dog....thankfully I am not needing to do the shifter yet, but I am starting to dislike the amount of play it has IN GEAR....sooooo.....that may be a project coming very soon.....I think I need to Join LEGOs Anonymous.....HELP!!!!:hide:

Why is it that every thing I do with the Jeep goes from one simple act of removing only one item into 3 other projects....like this one just did..........:banghead:

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
:pcwhack:well the videos are nice but I already know how to get the console out, :doh: I am requiring the removal of the actual knob with the shift pattern as it is a well we all know the "politically correct" term for the Lady dog....thankfully I am not needing to do the shifter yet, but I am starting to dislike the amount of play it has IN GEAR....sooooo.....that may be a project coming very soon.....I think I need to Join LEGOs Anonymous.....HELP!!!!:hide:

Why is it that every thing I do with the Jeep goes from one simple act of removing only one item into 3 other projects....like this one just did..........:banghead:
Both videos show two techniques for removing the shift knob. The first video should jump you directly to the time stamp.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
FWIW, my transfer case knob was a cinch with the collar trick but my shift knob came off in pieces. I'm pretty sure the dealer put it on with Crazy Glue.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same issue, my shift knob for the the Tcase popped off almost no effort, but the shifting knob is acting as if it was glued into place.....verry irritating I will say.....

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I ended up pulling my TCase knob using a ratchet strap around the sound bar and cranked on it until the knob popped off. Put the TCase in 4lo to get the angle right with the strap. Everything else I tried failed.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up pulling my TCase knob using a ratchet strap around the sound bar and cranked on it until the knob popped off. Put the TCase in 4lo to get the angle right with the strap. Everything else I tried failed.
I tried this with the shifter knob, yea no joy, was afraid I was going to have the knob come off and smash something, or worse just fly away even with a towel covering it for more control......not sure if i was doing it properly however....

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I tried this with the shifter knob, yea no joy, was afraid I was going to have the knob come off and smash something, or worse just fly away even with a towel covering it for more control......not sure if i was doing it properly however....
Yeah, you really need to crank on the straps. I needed a lot of force to pop it off. If you cover it with a towel, it shouldn't go far.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Time for the Dremel.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Time for the Dremel.
I am honestly getting to that point.....I may just go with the B&M shifter replacement piece anyway.....

Yeah, you really need to crank on the straps. I needed a lot of force to pop it off. If you cover it with a towel, it shouldn't go far.
any pictures on how you did the process? perhaps I am doing mine wrong?

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
I am honestly getting to that point.....I may just go with the B&M shifter replacement piece anyway.....
If your not having problems with popping out of gear you may consider just upgrading to the B&M shift lever instead of the entire shifter. It gets rid of the rubber bushing that largely contributes to the vagueness of shifting. It also has a thread so you can easily use custom shift knobs.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If your not having problems with popping out of gear you may consider just upgrading to the B&M shift lever instead of the entire shifter. It gets rid of the rubber bushing that largely contributes to the vagueness of shifting. It also has a thread so you can easily use custom shift knobs.
that is partly why I am trying to get my current one off, I do feel the shifts are a bit vague at time, don't get the popping out of gear stuff, but when I do the B&M shifter unit will also go in, but the other reason is so I can remove the console and clean the dog hair out and get under it to clean the dirt and crap out along with inspecting the parking brake cable(s) and replace if needed...starting to get the impression that I am dealing with a stretching parking cable....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts