Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JKU. Whenever it rains water builds up somewhere and as soon as I get in the Jeep water will start pouring out around the two freedom top screws and near the two speakers. Then when I back up out of my driveway more will start coming out. I'm not talking about a small leak. I could probably fill 2, 3 or even 4 cups with how much starts to pour out.

It seems like it gets in through the top and sits somewhere until the car is moved. It comes from both the passenger and drivers sides. Some times both and sometimes only one side. I make sure to put on the tops so the weather stripping does not pinch. I have cleaned the weather stripping. I haven't been putting the screws back in but I was also getting water like this with them in so that shouldn't be the problem.

If this was a little leak that just dripped once in a while I would be ok with it but there is so much water that if it comes from the drives side I have to change my clothes.

I would hate to bring my Jeep to the dealer for this kind of thing but if I can't figure out why it is doing it I may have to.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to figure where the leak is coming from? I think once I find the leak I could fix the problem. Maybe my best bet is to replace the stripping?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
If it is a bad leak, take it to the dealer...get it documented.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Yeah I think that is my best bet. I just hate dealing with them and wasting my afternoon sitting there.
I know what you mean.
I have a whole list of items I need looked at...but I don't feel like wasting an afternoon at the dealers. At some point we are just going to have to suck it up and go.....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use some flex seal.
Spray it on the stripping?

I know what you mean.
I have a whole list of items I need looked at...but I don't feel like wasting an afternoon at the dealers. At some point we are just going to have to suck it up and go.....
Yeah if I can't find an easy solution that works I'm just going to do it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: it is pouring in RI and it is leaking just sitting in my driveway. When I back it out I'm sure it will be pouring inside again. I called my local Jeep dealer and made an appointment for Monday. It should still be covered under original warranty. If not I bought an extended warranty which covers everything (except tires). Hope they can fix it the first time. This leak is crazy.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Sounds like you are getting the freedom top panel slosh. Water is accumulating inside your freedom panels, then when you drive, it sloshes to one side and pours out. You need to remove the freedom panels, drain them, and seal the little vent holes on the side with some silicone. Then, clean and liberally grease the top seals, install the panels back correctly, and you should be leak free. Post up what the dealer says, Im sure it's going to be something pretty dumb.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you are getting the freedom top panel slosh. Water is accumulating inside your freedom panels, then when you drive, it sloshes to one side and pours out. You need to remove the freedom panels, drain them, and seal the little vent holes on the side with some silicone. Then, clean and liberally grease the top seals, install the panels back correctly, and you should be leak free. Post up what the dealer says, Im sure it's going to be something pretty dumb.
I'll take a look at that when I get home. I have no clue where it comes from but when I checked this morning water was dripping from the hole to screw down the freedom top and near the speaker on the bar. When I start to move or stop it comes from the side right above my left shoulder.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I'll take a look at that when I get home. I have no clue where it comes from but when I checked this morning water was dripping from the hole to screw down the freedom top and near the speaker on the bar. When I start to move or stop it comes from the side right above my left shoulder.
Exactly...its sloshing around in there. Take a look when you get home (its going to rain all day in the NE unfortunately) so if you have a garage you can pull into that would be useful.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly...its sloshing around in there. Take a look when you get home (its going to rain all day in the NE unfortunately) so if you have a garage you can pull into that would be useful.
Thanks for the help. I do have a garage but unfortunately it is storage right now for my outdoor furniture and top soil while I'm redoing my backyard. I may move it around so I can use it though. I want to look to see what I can do before going to the dealer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another update: Got home from work and sure enough I had water splattered all over my back seat and on the floor. Looked under the carpet and it was pooling. Will definitely need to dry it some how. I may need to empty my garage for that which will be a huge PITA.

I took off the freedom panels and tipped them to see if water came out the vent hole and nothing did. I backed my back out of the driveway and water came pouring out where the passengers right shoulder would have been. It looks like it gets in through the top where the freedom panels meet the rest of the top and sits in the plastic sound bar. I'm hoping the seal just needs to be replaced.

Now my windows are all fogged up and I can't see. Plus one of the wires to the back windshield defroster feel off so that doesn't work. This is a big mess. I'm going to see what Jeep can do about it before getting mad. It sucks but if they fix it then I'm ok with that. If they tell me they can't find the leak or what ever excuse they come up with then I will get mad lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts