Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 TAN Jeep Wrangler Sahara, its stock with 255/70/18 tires / 32x10" on 18" rims.

Suggestions needed and associated cost...
1. Bigger tires on stock 18" rims. I'm kinda OK with the size 32's I just wish they were wider. However I was thinking something like 34x12 duno for sure.

2. Good but inexpensive lift kit around 3" but I want the front and rear to be lifted to the same height. I hear with normal lift kits the front is always slightly lower, lets say you get a 3" lift the rear is 3" but the front is 2 1/2". How true is this?

3. Skid plates these can get expensive... which are necessary and which are not. I just have the stock skid plates on the 2012 Sahara.

4. Front and rear bumpers, front with a winch, not sure what I need just know the stock bumpers suck.

5. Roof rack that can be used with hard top and soft top.

6. I would like to mount 2 gas cans on vehicle preferably on rear or tire mount.

7.Snorkel I dont even know where to start. Ive been told without a snorkel I can cross water that comes up to the bottom of the fenders. Is it worth getting.

8. Jeep is rear wheel drive and in winter 4 wheel drive is not always necessary but roads are still slick. Since most of the weight is in the front I put 2 sang bags on each side over the rear axle. Is this sufficient or does anyone have better ideas.

9. Any other upgrades I should consider, something I may have missed.

10. Fog light bars, foldable if possible 5 lights, which ones are good and easy to install. Also which fog light are the best for these bars.

I'm looking for advise from Jeepers that use these products not just reading it in a book.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
1. Bigger tires on stock 18" rims. I'm kinda OK with the size 32's I just wish they were wider. However I was thinking something like 34x12 duno for sure.
You'd need spacers for those tires.

Review this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html

2. Good but inexpensive lift kit around 3" but I want the front and rear to be lifted to the same height. I hear with normal lift kits the front is always slightly lower, lets say you get a 3" lift the rear is 3" but the front is 2 1/2". How true is this?
Start here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jk-lift-reviews-25157.html

Pretty much all lift kits are designed to "level" the jeep.

3. Skid plates these can get expensive... which are necessary and which are not. I just have the stock skid plates on the 2012 Sahara.
Depends on what you're planning on doing. The stock skids are going to be sufficient for most folks. You could armor up your diffs if you want as well as your oil pan. But sky's the limit. Also consider replacing your plastic side steps with some real sliders.

4. Front and rear bumpers, front with a winch, not sure what I need just know the stock bumpers suck.
The options are endless of course. Start here: Jeep Bumpers, Jeep Tire Carriers, Jeep Towing & Cargo Racks - Quadratec , but there are many other options as well that aren't featured in Q-tec.

5. Roof rack that can be used with hard top and soft top.
No input besides a Q-tec reference on this one.

6. I would like to mount 2 gas cans on vehicle preferably on rear or tire mount.
No firsthand info for this one either.

7.Snorkel I dont even know where to start. Ive been told without a snorkel I can cross water that comes up to the bottom of the fenders. Is it worth getting.
Depends on how much water you plan on fording. Yes, you can go pretty deep--SLOWLY--just in the stock configuration.

8. Jeep is rear wheel drive and in winter 4 wheel drive is not always necessary but roads are still slick. Since most of the weight is in the front I put 2 sang bags on each side over the rear axle. Is this sufficient or does anyone have better ideas.
Until you experience an adverse snow drive, I would say this is not needed and pull out the bags.

9. Any other upgrades I should consider, something I may have missed.
The options are endless. This is a wrangler. You could rebuild the entire thing with aftermarket parts if you wanted.

You need to know what you want and where you're hoping to get your build to. There's a ton of stuff you didn't mention that a lot of 4x4 guys would consider fairly common equipment--recovery gear, a CB or a good set of walkie-talkies, etc.

10. Fog light bars, foldable if possible 5 lights, which ones are good and easy to install. Also which fog light are the best for these bars.
I got nothing on this one.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts