Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 TJ standard transmission that won’t start I have checked all fuses, relays, connections, starter, by passed the clutch, ignition, and actuator pen. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated

·
Knows a couple things...
49,470 Posts
It cranks but doesn't start or it doesn't crank meaning the starter motor is not working?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,470 Posts
Could be the clutch pedal interlock switch, add a fuse per the owner's manual to bypass it to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Clutch Interlocking Ignition System
Manual transmission vehicles are equipped with a clutch
interlock safety feature. With this feature engaged, you
must depress the clutch pedal to allow cranking of the
engine. To temporarily bypass this safety feature while
off-road driving, which will allow cranking the engine
without depressing the clutch, follow these steps:
1. Locate the instrument panel fuseblock behind the
glove compartment.
2. Put a 20 Amp fuse (optional) in the fuseblock cavity
(f20) marked as Transmission.
NOTE: A fuse is provided in fuseblock cavity (f19)
marked as Spare.
3. Be sure to re-engage the clutch interlock safety feature
by following these steps in reverse order when you a

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve tried bypassing the clutch still won’t start. I ran a wire from the battery directly to the starter and it started right up. Still will not start with the key

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is going to sound silly but I’ve had this problem on both my dads 74 CJ and my 99 TJ. Both times it was that the battery cables had either loosened or gotten corroded where they connect to the battery post clamps. I’m not sure if you’ve already checked that or not, but it’s worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
There are several circuits here that you need to look at. One of the best places that they all converge is the starter relay in the fuse box. You can do some tests there to figure out which part of the several circuits are a problem. This can help you narrow down to whether its ignition switch, wires, relay, ground.

Let me know if you want help walking through the tests. Not going to type it all up if you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you could give me some direction on how to test the circuit. I have power at the ignition switch

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
First step is to pull the starter relay in the fuse box. You want to look at the bottom of the relay. There should be 4 numbers. 30, 85, 86, 87. You want to know where these pins plug into the female terminals on the fuse box. We will use these in a second.

Keep in mind that a relay is a electromechanical switch. There are 2 circuits in the relay. The first is a coil that activates the switch. It requires power and ground. Pin 85 and pin 86 are the coil. We will call this the control side of the relay. Second there is the switch of the relay. It takes connects one pin of the relay to the other. In this case pin 30 will get connected to 87. We will call this the Load side of the relay.

The first part we will test is the load side. The load side's main purpose in this is to take power from a fuse and send it down to the starter solenoid causing the starter to spin. You can use a test light or a VOM. I prefer a test light. Clamp it to battery neg and touch pin 30 in the relay box. You should have power (aka test light glows) here all the time. It should have power there no matter what position the key is in. Power for this comes from fuse 6 in the fuse box.

Now that we have power coming in on pin 30, lets bridge pin 30 to pin 87. Make sure the jeep is in neutral or park. You can bridge with a wire or a pair of pliers. Just make sure you get pin 30 and pin 87. On other relays this really matters...like you could fry your PCM, but that won't happen in this case. This should put power to the starter solenoid and cause the starter to spin.

Now on to the control side. I am going to be honest here, i get pin 85 and 86 messed up cause jeep seems to do it backwards from what I think. Pin 86 I have seen comes from the ignition switch and goes through your clutch switch. So take your test light, clamp it to batt negative. Touch pin 86. Have someone turn the key to start. It should light up in start but not run or off.

Next, up is pin 85. Clamp your test light on battery positive. Then touch your test light tip to pin 85. You should get the test light to light as that is the path to ground for the relay coil.

Keep in mind i may have pin 85 and 86 backwards but you should be able to figure it out based on the tests. If this all checks out, make sure the relay works. Heck, you may want to try swapping relays just to verify that before you start but either way you will end up in the same spot.

Make sense? Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m going to work on it this morning and I will let you know shortly the result, thank you for the help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much for the help, the rely wasn’t getting power which led to a bad fuse, not sure how I missed that. I feel like a rookie now lol

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Thanks so much for the help, the rely wasn’t getting power which led to a bad fuse, not sure how I missed that. I feel like a rookie now lol
Glad you found it but keep in mind, fuses usually don’t wear out and blow. Some circuit may be shorting causing the fuse to blow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts