Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 TJ 4.0. 2.5" suspension lift no SYE & almost 200K miles. If you have seen my other post I recently discovered my rear track bar was not attached to the frame bracket. But I have been battling a driveline vibration. Here is what I have done in order. Replaced all U joints, balanced and rotated tires, balanced front and rear drive shafts. Vibration is still there. Today I removed the rear driveshaft and took it out on the highway. I had NO vibrations kick in at 50-55 and got my speed up to 65 and still no vibrations. My plan is on Mon to have the balancing of the rear driveshaft double checked. I am hoping that's the problem. But if it's not, where should I look next?

I did take a short video of the output shaft spinning. I think it's ok. ( dont think I can post it ) If there is a way let me know.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Your problem appears to be with with the rear DS itself (balance, u-joints, slip shaft) or the angle at which the DS is working. You seem to be on the right track to diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it to the shop. Drive shaft is perfect. However, the rear output shaft on the transfer case is bent. So now it's do I DIY the transfer case output shaft repair or swap it out the whole transfer case with a used one. I know a guy with one. About 111K on the jeep

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
A new SYE would be much cheaper and easier IMO

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a SYE now. I have the standard OEM transfer case and out put shaft. I figure getting set up with the transfer case, sye, and driveshaft would be $$$.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only have a 2.5" suspension and the guys at the shop all agree no SYE is needed, my angle is good. So just need to figure out do I replace the output shaft and rebuild it or just swap it out with a used one

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
you are correct, you can just replace the output shaft. what I, and assuming others, were saying is that if you're going that far, why not upgrade to a SYE. at 2.5" you are on the cusp

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see. No just want to keep it the way it is. I am guessing the straight swap out with a used one would be the easiest....just a gamble on if I will have issues with it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'd repair the transfer case you have. You'll learn something in the process and not have to worry about getting someone elses junk.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking like I can just repair mine for about $225-$300 depending on which transfer kit I get ($100-190) plus about $100ish for the main shaft.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any suggestions on where to get a transfer case rebuild kits or main/outputshaft? I am shopping, but discovering I could have a 1" chain or 1.25" chain....and rumors say the only way to find out is to open it up.

·
Registered
512 Posts
IF the transfer case in your Jeep is the original... then it will be a NP 231 J which always comes with a 1" chain unless someone has already upgraded the chain previously. The only other way the chain can be a 1.25" is if the transfer case is a NP 231 D from a Dodge Ram or similar truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts