Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I had a dealer installed brandmotion backup camera installed back in december of 2015 when i purchased my jeep. Dealer did install before i even picked it up. Have had zero issues over the last 3.5 years with it, untill.... a couple months ago, one day it just didn't turn on when i went into reverse. I have a black screen with the "check entire surroundings" message on the top of screen as normal when first engaging it. I have gone from camera end, to where the wire disappears to the left of glove box. Just past that point is where it plugs into the harness that is plugged into the radio unit itself. I haven't seen any kinks or issues with wire up to that point. The camera itself has a plug that makes a connection back at the tailgate. I was hoping to somehow test that connection with a multi tester to see if its getting power that far, if so, i would know its the camera, and if not, i would know that for some reason power wasn't making it that far, then i would need to take apart the dash to get to that connector and see if something has gone wrong there. But before going that far, is there a way to test that connection? Enclosed are pics of the plug undone to show the 4 pins, i'm not sure the proper way to use a multi tester to test them, (if its possible). I did put mine on the 20v setting, and put the ground probe on the tailgate for grounding, and proceeded to touch each pin one at a time with no measurable reading that i can see, just all zero's. Am i doing this correctly? Oh and yes, i have the ignition switched on, and jeep in reverse when testing. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well, no tips.....i ended up buying new replacement camera in hopes to just plug camera into existing wiring for old camera to see if new one would work. well, camera comes and plug is different, so send it back order what looks like exact camera i have, plugs are different on new versions apparently....am tired of this already...can't troubleshoot without replacing entire wire harness up thru dash into head unit...i hate shit like this....

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
A couple of things that might actually be helpful instead of my previous suggestion.

You don't need to put the Jeep into reverse to test the camera. Since the Brandmotion camera uses the computer to determine when to use the camera and is not spliced into backup lights like other cameras, you can use your head unit to turn on the camera (Menu -> System Setup -> Backup Camera if memory serves).

There are two things I'd check that you haven't already. First, the power. A typical installation for the Brandmotion camera involves splicing into your 12v socket's power. You can get at that from the passenger side footwell. If the splicing came loose, that could explain why you're not getting any power. This seems like the most likely culprit to me.

Second, I would remove the dash (I promise this isn't as hard as it sounds; if I can do it anyone can) and check to see if the connection to the head unit has come loose. This seems like a long shot but I'd check it if the power connection doesn't seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks wrathOr,
Yeah i've watched 2 videos on dash removal and went for it this morning.
So dash cover off, and climate control panel removed gently, i was able to expose the wires for everything. Using a tester, i am getting just under 12v at the spliced power plug, so the power splice is solid. I've wiggled and undone and reconnected all connectors for video and power with no luck. I've removed the head unit and actually swapped out the harness with a new one to see if that was the issue, but it wasn't, so the harness and connector from head unit seem to be solid. So it must be either the long wire back to camera having a issue, or the camera, maybe the connector for the camera at the back. I've got a new brandmotion coming tomorrow, going to have to run a new home run wire and hook up new camera. ( only because the new camera's have a different connector at the back connection than my older model apparently ) so i won't be able to just try the new camera with my old wire, really sucks, would be an easy way to see which is the problem before running the wire..... anyway, hope to have it licked maybe on saturday when i can go for it,

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
That's a bummer, I was really hoping it would be that power splice for you; that seems like the simplest problem to have had. Did you have any luck this weekend?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
man its damned sucking... i ordered 2 cameras from brandmotion, the first comes, and the whole harness is different than the older ones, they have changed, i didn't know that. i send first back, order 2nd, it comes the same, i finally get them to respond and they say i have to do a new complete hookup, due to them redesigning the harness, if i can't find someone with an older one, i'm going to go with different brand, they suck lol

the whole power tap and doing it correctly is already done with my old kit, but i wasn't wanting to have to do that again, i may just forget the whole thing, or go with alpine instead, never was a big fanboy of brandmotion build anyway, kinda cheaply made housings and wire imo.. hey thanks for helping me, i do appreciate it..

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It's a real shame how unhelpful they're being. I'd say that the biggest benefit to Brandmotion's camera is that they include a programmer so you don't have to pay a dealership. Ignoring the fact that the programmer is overpriced, you've already got it so there's no real reason to go with them again.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i truly don't understand their redesigning the entire harness, funny thing is, all the pics on their website show the old harness, all vendors show pics of old harness, they said they're in the process of putting up new pics of the new crap lol

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i doubt it, almost 4 years old now. I know it seems stupid to be hung up on this like i am, just don't want to do the whole splice and solder the connections again, etc, when i've got a perfectly good one already done. its all good, i'm probably done with brandmotion, was a big supporter of them for a couple of years here on the site, always recommending them and how i loved my camera etc, now just want to forget about them, looking at alpine one right now, thanks man

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Their cameras always seemed way overpriced to me. I have been buying FPV cameras and feel they are as good as anything else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts