Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i went out in my jeep today and was headed back home and decided to stop and see a cousin of mine and he spotted something on the front end where the sway bar and the sway bar link comes together. The two were separated like the ball joint had went bad. So i went home and when i pulled into my driveway and got out and looked the two were back together again so i am not sure wheather the ball joint is bad or what but i thought it was weird that the two were back together. I am going to upload a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sway bar link

Okay i have attached a pic and the point at which the sway bar goes onto the sway link was separated with about and inch or two between them and once i got the jeep home i got out and looked and they were back together again. Someone please help and tell me what to do and exactly what's going on and also what i will need to get to fix it if i have to.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Yep they do wear out and separate, time for a replacement set.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay but what do i have to buy to fix it and is it safe to drive as long as i dont do any offroading until i can get the money to fix it.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
While it is "safe" IMO, a lot of people are concerned it is an issue. To give an example, the "body roll" will be more pronounced without that part. However some Jeepers, (myself included) run or have run totally discoed up front. That is with no sway bar connection at all/5 sway bar totally removed. For me it was fine, it is not for everyone. The handling will be the biggest thing that is different. However the fact that you were not "aware" that it was broke leads me to believe it happened recently and hasn't created any issues. cost for one side is about $35 IIRC. For stockers....you can pay much more for aftermarket adjustable that can "grow" with the Jeep and be lubed and removed for off road.
That part is generally considered to be for "street use".

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Get sway bar links without the weak ball socket design. Zone has replacements. You can get the on Amazon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much jp2611 i really appreciate the info. You were saying about 35 bucks a side for stockers. While i am not completely stock i have a 2 inch spacer lift on the jeep. I did not change the sway bar links when i put the lift in because the lift wasn't that much. I am not going to put any bigger lift in it for now. I am just thinking about putting some 31's or 32's on it at a later date. So what i am wondering is should i get after adjustable sway bar links or will stock one's work okay for now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
X3 on the garbage ball joint links. They are bad enough on a stock suspension. With 2" of lift, while breakage is not guaranteed, it is more a matter of when, not if. Adjustables are definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
671 Posts
X3 for the Zone replacement. It's not a ball joint design. It uses poly bushings for flex. Easy to install too. Hardest part is removing the old ones. Just swing the whole sway bar down against the bumper and smack it with a small sledge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts