Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if the title makes sense,

The ultimate goal is to have a set of accent lighting turn on when the low-beams are on. Instead of splicing the accent lighting directly to the low-beams, I want to use a relay.

The control-side of the relay has 3 wires: black, blue, white which goes to the on/off switch in the cabin. I have not decided if I am going to keep the on/off switch in this circuit, but it could serve to cut the circuit so that the accent lighting never turn on.

Back to my question:
which of the 3 wires do i connect to which of the 3 wires going into the lights?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
The stock headlights are getting a variable input from the canbus system. If you rig a relay to them you will want to add a capacitor or at best the relay will not last very long and at worst they will flicker.
I cant tell you which wires go wear without inspecting the relay. Most have numbers attached printed on the terminals and sometimes a diagram on them. With that I could tell you.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Just a note, it would change things if you had led lights with an external anti flicker device.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stock headlights are getting a variable input from the canbus system. If you rig a relay to them you will want to add a capacitor or at best the relay will not last very long and at worst they will flicker.
I cant tell you which wires go wear without inspecting the relay. Most have numbers attached printed on the terminals and sometimes a diagram on them. With that I could tell you.
i can also wire it into the licence plate light, since that also turns on when the same time. And that only has 2 wires to choose from, unlike the 3 of the headlight.

is that also on the canbus?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Not sure if the title makes sense,

The ultimate goal is to have a set of accent lighting turn on when the low-beams are on. Instead of splicing the accent lighting directly to the low-beams, I want to use a relay.

The control-side of the relay has 3 wires: black, blue, white which goes to the on/off switch in the cabin. I have not decided if I am going to keep the on/off switch in this circuit, but it could serve to cut the circuit so that the accent lighting never turn on.

Back to my question:
which of the 3 wires do i connect to which of the 3 wires going into the lights?
Depends on the relay. Look at the terminals on yours to see. Below is a typical one:

Browse through this page for lots of info: https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

So, what I call the sensor wire and the page above calls the low current, is a wire that you would hook up to, say, the low beam positive (+) wire. The relay will only allow power to flow to the lights connected if the sensor wire has power.

I am not sure about how LED lights would be affected, as some above have mentioned. You might want to make your connection temporary at first by sticking a spade into the back of the headlight connector or at some connector on its way there, so you can test and see if you get the dreaded flickering.

You might also consider using a different circuit for your sensor wire. What about the marker light circuit? That is going to be on with the headlights, even though I think they come one one notch before the headlights.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends on the relay. Look at the terminals on yours to see. Below is a typical one:

Browse through this page for lots of info: https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

So, what I call the sensor wire and the page above calls the low current, is a wire that you would hook up to, say, the low beam positive (+) wire. The relay will only allow power to flow to the lights connected if the sensor wire has power.

I am not sure about how LED lights would be affected, as some above have mentioned. You might want to make your connection temporary at first by sticking a spade into the back of the headlight connector or at some connector on its way there, so you can test and see if you get the dreaded flickering.

You might also consider using a different circuit for your sensor wire. What about the marker light circuit? That is going to be on with the headlights, even though I think they come one one notch before the headlights.

This is a exactly what I needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts