Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You have a truckload of wtf going on there.....
Somebody has home built something for the shocks.... I'd pull it off, toss it and start over.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
That bar and the axle are not stock, that is quite the cluster f***. Take a picture of the frame rails above the axle it would be interesting to see if it still has the factory shock mounts. It almost looks like that bar was crudely made to clamp to the factory shock studs i dont see any welds on it.

Reactions: Luckymac

·
Registered
395 Posts
I must agree with all the above posts. Take off that homemade fabrication and mount your shocks as they were supposed to be. I'm blown away at how you were able to drive that thing to begin with. Hopefully they didn't grind off the lower shock mount tabs on the mounting plate for your leaf springs.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
That is an interesting set up. Almost makes you want to punch the PO in the forehead

Reactions: agalloch07

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has a ford 8.8 rear end, its above my pay grade so i dropped it off at a rebutable jeep mechanic by my house. Hopefully it wont cost me an arm and a leg

·
Registered
395 Posts
It shouldn't since more than likely they'll just take a blow torch to that setup. The way I see it is just chop and weld those tabs for your lower shock mount if it needs it.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
To copy My old Grandmother, Well I never Saw Such A Thing!

Reactions: banjotx

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
WOW...me thinks the shock towers are gone and that contraption was the fix. It almost looks like the shock is welded to the axel in that 1st pic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seems to be some misunderstanding/misinformation in this thread. If you look at the lower shock mounts you will notice they are welded higher on the 8.8 axle tube than the stock mounts would be on the D35. Therefore the distance between the stock upper shock mount and the lower mount on the 8.8 would be to close for a stock shock to mount properly. It was common years ago, before the JK was even a thought, to weld a piece of angle iron above the frame rails over the stock shock mounts so longer travel shocks could be used to gain more articulation. The mounting holes in the angle iron would have been more inboard as well for the longer travel shocks. What the P.O. did for the upper shock mounts was correct in thought but failed in implementation. I agree it doesn't look like it was welded, and if the new upper shock mount bar was welded properly then you wouldn't have had any issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems to be some misunderstanding/misinformation in this thread. If you look at the lower shock mounts you will notice they are welded higher on the 8.8 axle tube than the stock mounts would be on the D35. Therefore the distance between the stock upper shock mount and the lower mount on the 8.8 would be to close for a stock shock to mount properly. It was common years ago, before the JK was even a thought, to weld a piece of angle iron above the frame rails over the stock shock mounts so longer travel shocks could be used to gain more articulation. The mounting holes in the angle iron would have been more inboard as well for the longer travel shocks. What the P.O. did for the upper shock mounts was correct in thought but failed in implementation. I agree it doesn't look like it was welded, and if the new upper shock mount bar was welded properly then you wouldn't have had any issues.
Bingo i think you nailed it!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Tereflex used to sell a similar bar set up..I have one on my YJ

looks like this

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I would still trash whatever's left of it and start from scratch

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
Qtec and Morris have kits to adapt an 8.8 to a YJ. You may not need the entire kit, so I would contact the manufacturer of the kit they sell and see if the manufacturer will sell just the individual parts you need. If they won't, it still may be cheaper to buy the entire kit and simply use the pieces you need.
By cheaper, I mean buying the kit might be less expensive than paying a fabricator to re-invent the wheel.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
543 Posts
in this pic you can see both ends of the bar (the rectangular blocks with the holes and missing bolts, one at the lower right corner of the pic and one sitting on the driveshaft)...the bar broke by one of the shocks upper mounts allowing it to pull the ends free from where they were bolted to the stock upper shock mounts...he just needs to either fix or replace the shock mount bar

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also, the passenger side lower shock mount looks like it was turned 90*. Unless there is a reason I'm unaware of, it appears as if the passenger shock will fight against the lower mount through it's range of motion. How it's mounted will allow the shock body to move laterally and not vertically compared to the axle.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
It has shock extensions.... can't really see em in pic but there are 2 bolts 90* to each other

·
Registered
543 Posts
That looks like an attempted knockoff of MORE design.
the more I look at it tjhe more I think it's a Teraflex

Also, the passenger side lower shock mount looks like it was turned 90*. Unless there is a reason I'm unaware of, it appears as if the passenger shock will fight against the lower mount through it's range of motion. How it's mounted will allow the shock body to move laterally and not vertically compared to the axle.
It has shock extensions.... can't really see em in pic but there are 2 bolts 90* to each other
gofast is correct

if it is a Teraflex system, they had optional brackets, that bolted to the stock lower shock mount bracket, that turned the lower mount of the shock itself 90 degrees to the axle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts