Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about a dozen threads with people having the same problem and haven't found a fix. Here's the issue:

When first starting my Jeep I can push the clutch in and get into 1st gear without issue. If I drive any distance where I shift out of first gear and come to a stop (in neutral) it takes an overwhelming amount of pressure to get it back into 1st gear. Sometimes it is hard to get it into any gear as I've read that first and reverse are not synchronized. The only way it goes into 1st gear without pushing the hell out of the shifter is if I am pushing it into first gear (with the clutch depressed) while giving it an engine rev (approximately 2k rpm). I've replaced the fluid in the transfer case with atf, the transmission fluid with synchromesh, and the rear differential with appropriate weighted gear oil. The problem still existed so I replaced the master and slave clutch cylinder with a pre bled and sealed unit. Still no help. Since then I've added a 3" suspension lift made by zone and the problem is no better or worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not sure if it is in my signature but I have a 99 4.0 ax-15 5 speed with Dana 35 rear end geared at 3.73. Jeep has 145,000 miles.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have the same issue when my tans starts getting hot. From what Ive read and understand its a common high milage AX-15 problem. My situation isnt as bad as yours though. If I can roll forwards or backwards just a little it will go in easier.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Sometimes it is hard to get it into any gear as I've read that first and reverse are not synchronized.
Well you're half right. Reverse is not synchronized, but 1st gear is. Possibly just a worn syncro. Try this, before attempting to shift to 1st, shift to 2nd, then to first. If it still doesn't go in easily, let out the clutch very slightly with gentle pressure on the shift lever until it slips in.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the same problem and I can't get it into reverse unless I turn the jeep off, put it in reverse then start the jeep back up. When I try to put it in reverse while it's on, it just grinds the gears like crazy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll try going from second to first while slipping the clutch but here are times when I can't get into any gear easily. I would think it would be a clutch issue but it has no problem moving through gears when I do get the jeep into motion. Up shifts and down shifts are smooth.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll try going from second to first while slipping the clutch but here are times when I can't get into any gear easily. I would think it would be a clutch issue but it has no problem moving through gears when I do get the jeep into motion. Up shifts and down shifts are smooth.
If you have a hard time with all the gears, it is very likely a clutch issue. Doesn't sound like your clutch is not completely disengaging. Probably either broken throw out bearing or pressure plate, both of which are included in a clutch kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts