Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday when i was at work i tried to start my jeep the engine started for about two seconds then cut off. Now when every i try to start it the engine does not turn over at all but my lights come on. Just about every light on my dash is lit up and the only code we can get from the jeep is hot oil we have tried the on bored code reader and several other code readers to get a code but nothing will come up. Im honestly at a loss of what to do currently other then take it to a dealership but we are trying to avoid that any ideas on whats going on?

·
Premium Member
6,754 Posts
Two things - when you first turn the key on, check the security light on the right side of the console (above and to the right of center of the temp gauge). When you first turn the key on, during the instrument light self check, it should come on red. After a few seconds it should go off (along with the other lights). If it does not, it indicates that the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) is not reading the chip in your key fob. (This is separate from the keyless entry function).

If it does not go out, try a second key. The SKIM chip in keys have been known to fail. If the second key does not work, you will have to take it to a dealer. They can program a key without having a working key.

The classic symptom is that the Jeep (or any CDJR vehicle with a SKIM) will start and run for a few seconds and then shut down. Repeated attempts will result in the Jeep not even attempting to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have one key so i suppose on monday i will go to the dealership to make a new key i hope this works

·
Registered
110 Posts
Agreed with @rgreen65 above, but since you only have one key I'd try to avoid the dealership route for the time being. If the SKIM system is preventing a start it usually wouldn't cause the whole dash to light up, but it does usually cause the brief start and stop you're describing along with the security light to blink.

I would do the simple/easy stuff first. Try disconnecting the battery negative terminal and 10 minutes then reconnect, and also try a known good battery at that time if you have another. Make sure the both connections on the battery are good and clean. And check any ground you can find in the engine compartment and within the driver/passenger area, noting there's one at each kick panel on the left and right side of the interior. Low battery voltage and bad grounds can cause a lot of strange things to happen on modern vehicles that are controlled by a CAN-BUS computer network. Also check all the fuses in your TIPM (the fuse box) in the engine compartment and make sure they are all seated correctly. Finally I'd check and possibly disconnect anything aftermarket equipment that's not directly wired to the battery (dash cams, lights, etc.) if there is any.

The big sign of something wrong though is if you can't communicate with the OBD port. If you're not able to have a regular code reader read the car, that likely means there's an issue with the CAN-BUS network, which can be a bad component on the network, a bad ground, etc. If you can get a bluetooth OBD adapter and use a Jeep/Chrysler/FCA specific program such as Jscan, DiagFCA, AlfaOBD, etc. that would help you figure out which ECUs are responding -- but if a simple code reader cannot even pull codes or recognize the vehicle, then this may not work either.

That being said, there was another guy recently who had a problem that sounded similar to yours -- no start, lots of lights on the dash, and he wasn't able to communicate w/ the OBD port. Apparently his issue was a bad clock spring, which is the wire that communicates w/ the steering wheel controls and a lot of other things (good Wikipedia article on it FYI). These usually cause some simpler problems (such as an air bag light coming on), but it can also cause a variety of other problems. There is also a recall on those springs that I think may still be applicable to your '09 if your VIN is with the recall group:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V290-8480.pdf

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/2012-jk-lost-communication-with-all-modules-2375217.html

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
6,754 Posts
I was assuming (and we all know how that turns out most of the time) that when he said the dash lights up, he was referring to the instrument cluster self check where it turns on all the warning lights for a few seconds when you first turn the key to the on position.

OP - with one key, first check the action of the security light. If that light goes out after a few seconds then it is not the SKIM, but another issue.

Since the Jeep is 11 years old and you only have one key, I would assume you purchased it as a used vehicle. It has never been a good idea to only have one key, but today with the electronics it is even more important to have have a spare. The chips do go bad. When I bought my TJ in 2014 off my dealer's used vehicle lot, it had two keys but they did not match. One was obviously an original key since it said "Jeep". The second was obviously a Chrysler cut key as it had the Pentastar logo on it. Neither key was really a new key as the gray heads had faded. I have a new third key cut and programmed by a local locksmith. For the Chief, I only have the two original keys, but I have one as a primary key with house keys, etc. and the other hangs on the keyboard. Periodically if I have to move the Chief, I use the secondary key, just to make sure it still works, even though the keys are only 3 years old.

If you take the Jeep to a dealership, you might want to call and see what they will charge first. In addition to the charge for the key, you will incur the towing charge unless you have a way to get it there yourself.

Call around in your area and see if there is a locksmith who has a mobile workshop and can program the key. It takes a dedicated computer and not all locksmiths can do the work. When I had my TJ key made, it was $71 for the blank, cutting the key and the programming. My dealer quoted me $150 over the phone. The key is a plain key since the TJ does not have keyless entry, the JK key with keyless entry would have been more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also have a 2009 JK , I went to the local locksmith he went out and got the vin number and cut and programed the key for me. $80 lot cheaper than the dealer. Never a good idea to have only one key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts