Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post. And want to say hi. Well I do not have any photos yet but I have to rebuild the engine with only about 60, 000 miles on it. I got it used so I do not know what they may have done to it. My son has been driving it when a loud ticking came from the engine. Mind you this is a first for me. So far I have engine out and half apart,. In the oil pan we found some metal chips in it. I hope to keep a running post with hopes that I can get some good help. This is going to be a project car. So it may take some time to get it done. Thanks for any help.Attached Thumbnails**

Attachments

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Good luck with it. Engine re-building can be fun. Take your time. Get zip-lock bags and a sharpie to keep track of all the bolts. Get a maintenance manual so you have all the torque specs to put everything back together.

Bob K.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is there anything specific you have a question about? Your title says to help yet you didn't ask a question, unless I missed it? lol....were the chips aluminum or steel? pics may help....usually before pulling an engine down to this point I would have listened to it with a stethoscope to attempt to hear where about the noise was coming from.....things to check: broken flex plate (crack around the bolt circle) damaged camshaft lobes, soft lifters, pull all the rod and main bearing caps to check for spun bearings, check the timing chain for looseness, I assume the valvetrain looked ok? Was there oil in the engine when the noise started? Was the check engine light on prior to the noise starting or after? good luck....

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Many of the 3.8L engines were built in Mexico.... They have bad piston rings, so throw the rings away !! Also check the Connecting rods real close ! These engine spin bearings, supposedly changing to the Replacement MOPAR connecting rods cures this...
Lots of these engines use oil...some use lots of it.
People not used to engines using oil do not check the dip stick often enough, so some run out of oil and wastes the bearings.... Mic the crank and or have it ground...
Good Luck with all the parts.... Welcome Home Pal ! "BH"

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Many of the 3.8L engines were built in Mexico.... They have bad piston rings, so throw the rings away !! Also check the Connecting rods real close ! These engine spin bearings, supposedly changing to the Replacement MOPAR connecting rods cures this... Lots of these engines use oil...some use lots of it. People not used to engines using oil do not check the dip stick often enough, so some run out of oil and wastes the bearings.... Mic the crank and or have it ground... Good Luck with all the parts.... Welcome Home Pal ! "BH"
Actually all the 3.8 engines were built in the USA. The Mexico thing was just a rumor. You can go online and track down the actual engine plant by the engine serial #.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Thank you for your service and good luck with the rebuild. The good news is if you take your time, do some research and use good parts you'll end up with an engine that is better than when it was new.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. How high can I go on the compression ratio, say 9.6 to 10.5? How far can I have it board out. I plan to upgrade all the parts that I can. There are lots of brands out their. Being on strict buget, so I hope they do not cost to much.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is my first post. And want to say hi. Well I do not have any photos yet but I have to rebuild the engine with only about 60, 000 miles on it. I got it used so I do not know what they may have done to it. My son has been driving it when a loud ticking came from the engine. Mind you this is a first for me. So far I have engine out and half apart,. In the oil pan we found some metal chips in it. I hope to keep a running post with hopes that I can get some good help. This is going to be a project car. So it may take some time to get it done. Thanks for any help.Attached Thumbnails**
I have had the same problem due to missing a simple oil change. The metal shavings are most likely the wall from the rods scratching it as they move up and down. Also you probably have a bad rod bearing and later down the road issues with the crankshaft. My jeep is parked and has been for about 16 weeks until I can save money for the new engine would should be bought pretty soon, thank God. Good luck hopefully doesn't end badly like mine did.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
The JKs are computer controlled for everything. The computer control will not know what to do with the higher compression ratio. Same for trying to cam the engine, or add larger capacity fuel injectors. You will need a custom tune for all that you do. I am sure you have noticed that there is not even a throttle cable on this engine.

If you plan on going with anything other than stock you will need to work on the ECU programming.

Bob K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I went to "Rockauto.com" and found that they do have a master rebulid kit. Can even get .02/.03/.04 larger parts for the rebuild. So maybe thier is still hope. Almost have the engine all apart. If I find anything that might show what went wrong I will post it. I did bed lined the grill.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
If try to bore it over as little as possible. Having it bored will be good but you don't want to have to fill too much of a gap with rings. If try to bore it over .02 or .03 and do that master rebuild. Check the crank before reusing it and make sure it isn't scratched

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If try to bore it over as little as possible. Having it bored will be good but you don't want to have to fill too much of a gap with rings. If try to bore it over .02 or .03 and do that master rebuild. Check the crank before reusing it and make sure it isn't scratched
Thanks, I plan to get a new crank as well as cam. I do not see it as a good idea to reuse the old one after the engine has failed. I have a friend that works at automotive parts place and I will see what they say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts