Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving my 91 without a working horn for to long, it just isn't safe IMO. It has a custom steering wheel & a new horn kit on it & the button is working properly.

When I push the horn button, I can here the relay clicking. But there's no power at the plug in, at the horn. I've checked all the fuses, all are good.

I've got a manual, it say's with no power at the plug, is to 'repair the relay'. I know approximately where the relay is, only I don't know what it looks like or how to repair it. When the relay 'clicks', should I be able to feel the click by touching the relay?

As you can tell, I'm electrically challenged and need help.:surrender:

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
yes, the relay will be able to be felt when it is clicking.

unless it has been relocated, it should be out under the hood next to the battery area.

and if you can hear it clicking, it is most likely not working properly, none of my relays make a clicking noise when they are powered.

·
Registered
787 Posts
on my 91 the relay was under the dash next to the fuse block...it was doing the same and when i replaced it, the horn started working fine....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on my 91 the relay was under the dash next to the fuse block...it was doing the same and when i replaced it, the horn started working fine....
That's where my manual says it should be & that's where I hear the clicking, I just can't pin point it. Is it a dark brown plastic box with 4 prongs off the bottom of it?

Thanks jfb.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If its not the relay or fuses...could also be in the steering wheel itsefl...i had to do this a few days ago...just pull the center cover of your steering wheel off....remove the 3 screws...carefull here...theres a little springy thingy...my spring had callapsed and wasnt pushing this back up enuff to make contact...i replaced mine with a spring from an ink pen...had to trim a little but worked great...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I found it & it's out. I'll order one today.

Thanks for the help everyone.:thumb:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If its not the relay or fuses...could also be in the steering wheel itsefl...i had to do this a few days ago...just pull the center cover of your steering wheel off....remove the 3 screws...carefull here...theres a little springy thingy...my spring had callapsed and wasnt pushing this back up enuff to make contact...i replaced mine with a spring from an ink pen...had to trim a little but worked great...
I've read that about the ink pen spring, might have been from you. I'm purdy sure the spring is good, well, it's new at least. I was able to feel the relay click. We'll see what happens when I get a new one.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put in the new relay & the horn works now.

Anyway, just wanted to say Thanks again for the help everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts