Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help deciding about a project buy. I have built a car with and engine swap, can paint, weld, and wire with making smoke. Car has even won trophies. I want a wheeler but not too hard core. I need to be able to make a 7 hour drive to visit my son. He is the Jeeper
The project sis described as such:
Project Jeep
Small block Chevy
GM 4 speed and transfer case
Complete body minus doors
Corporate 14 bolt 8 lug
Dana 44 8 lug with flat top knuckles

Jeep is sitting on stock springs and engine/tranny/transfer case is in place.
I need to purchase:
2 doors, all seats, radiator, both drive shafts, lift springs (leaf).
Now has new rims and 36" military surplus tires. I know the tires will have to go eventually.

Doing all work myself any idea of the parts cost? Used doors and seats of course.

Are the axles good for this rig?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

00j0j_8hYFUMSS6Pv_1200x900.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks like a fun project! What year CJ 7? Are your axles full size or did someone have them narrowed? A lot of the costs will depend on using all new parts or watching for good used parts. For me anyway, take the price you think everything will be and double it! My thoughts on your axles might be over kill for the use described. You did not say the type of four wheeling you will be doing? If your axles are full size, some states will not let you drive with your wheel sticking out much from your fenders. Will take big fender flares! With 1 ton running gear, you are going to have some high fuel costs for a 7 hour drive each way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I forgot to say it is a 94 YJ. I talked with my son today and he says the same thing. Real heavy duty axles and they are full width. I will have to pass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts