Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 TJ 4.0 automatic, was about to replace crankshaft sensor and found no bolt securing it. it is very tight in its place but i believe there is supposed to be a bolt. anybody know if there is supposed to be one and what size it would be. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It secures with either 1 or 2 bolts, depending upon the model - right next to where the wires enter it.
A long extension - 18" - 24", put a wobbly on the end with a 10MM socket on it (I think it's 10, could be a 13MM) - wrap a hunk of tape around the wobbly to keep it semi-stiff.
Reach up from underneath, have a buddy guide it on the bolt from above - a 10 minute swap.

When replacing - be sure to leave the cardboard sleeve on it - it spaces it away from the flywheel slightly to the proper distance. If installing a used one, use 2 layers of duct tape as the spacer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, you wouldn't happen to know the thread size for the bolt would you. Like I said there was no bolt to start with and the dealer couldn't help me. Its an automatic so its the one bolt kind.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
If there is no bolt holding it in place, what is holding it?

My parts listing for the 32RH is a little gray in that area but from what I can find, the bolt that holds the crank position sensor in place may be a .312-18x2.26, Mopar/Jeep p/n 34202536. But it doesn't differentiate between the single bolt used for the automatic style and the two bolts used for the manual style crankshaft position sensor. Perhaps and hopefully they both use the same size bolt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts