Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help!! I have a 2012 jeep rubicon 43,000 k just over 3 years old has not been driven in winter and all door hinges are rusting. for months been trying to get it repaired , finally went back to the dealership where they broke the news to me. If I wanted it fixed I would have to cover a third of the cost which would be a $1000 . They know something is inherently wrong with the paint that they use but continue to do the same year after year

·
Administrator
41,907 Posts
First of all I'd like to say Welcome to Wrangler Forum.

As to your help request, what exactly are you asking? If you are asking about replacing your door hinges, I can't believe they say the cost it $3000! you can easily replace them yourself for a fraction of the cost if that is required. Not knowing the whole situation (pictures would help) you most likely just need some paint and lubrication.

Here's a couple of threads you may want to check out:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/missing-paint-by-hinge-1405634.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/delrin-door-hinge-liners-1377362.html

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It's a known issue with all JK's. The problem resides in having two different metals in contact with each other and is called galvanic corrosion. If a simple gasket had been placed between the hinge and door they would not rust.

I touched mine up this past summer and placed a gasket like material between the hinge and door. Then I installed some Rugged Ridge SS powder coated door hinge covers to protect the door hinge and enhance the look.

As stated above there are many replacement hinge kits out there or if getting the oem hinges repaired make sure a gasket is placed between the hinge and door or the corrosion will happen again.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Look up galvanic corrosion. The TJ's had the problem too... Only solution is to take the hinges off, grind off all the paint - repaint and reattach. At the same time - add the delrin hinge bushings in the link above to avoid your doors corroding to the point where you cant remove them.

Edit - Ahhh.. looks like Vans beat me to the punch... ;)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Would this not fall under the corrosion warranty?
Corrosion is perforation only, think holes in metal, not surface rust. The legal team is good with words, they basically are only covering the worst case scenario.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
If a simple gasket had been placed between the hinge and door they would not rust.
The factory started doing this ~December 2014, it only took them ~7 years to figure it out! :lmao:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have an 08 and mine have been like that since 09. Question though, is this only corroding my hinges or is the metal on the actual door corroding as well? If there is door damage, I may pay more attention to it. Guess I could remove them and take a look but figure I'd ask the experts first.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I have an 08 and mine have been like that since 09. Question though, is this only corroding my hinges or is the metal on the actual door corroding as well? If there is door damage, I may pay more attention to it. Guess I could remove them and take a look but figure I'd ask the experts first.
Shouldn't be... The white corrosion is the aluminum, there won't be any rust except possibly in the hinge pin area. If you pull a hinge, you will see pockets of white underneath on the door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts