Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i noticed some fluid coming from my d30. it looks like its coming from where the shaft meets the diff. but i also see it at the bottom of the diff cover so that puzzles me. i bought the car couple weeks ago so im not sure how long its been leaking even though i didnt see it when i bought it. how dangerous is to drive it like that for couple more days? pics attached.

thanks guys

in the pictures you can see where its dry and where its wet

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks to be a pinion seal leak. Simple enough repair, if you know what you're doing. If you don't know how, you can royally screw up the pinion bearing. Take a 3/8" ratchet and unscrew the fill plug on the front cover and see if there is enough gear oil in the diff (should be up to the bottom of the fill hole, poke your finger inside to check). If it's low, add some 80w90 gear oil to get you by for a few days until you can have it fixed. Also have the diff breather checked to see if it's venting or plugged.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine leaks just enough to wet the bottom of the center differential, every time I check it it's fine. The pinion seal is only like 15 bucks

I just need the time to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. i checked the diff and seems to have fluid to get me by. ill check it every other day. i was looking and there are a couple videos on changing the seal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks to be a pinion seal leak. Simple enough repair, if you know what you're doing. If you don't know how, you can royally screw up the pinion bearing. Take a 3/8" ratchet and unscrew the fill plug on the front cover and see if there is enough gear oil in the diff (should be up to the bottom of the fill hole, poke your finger inside to check). If it's low, add some 80w90 gear oil to get you by for a few days until you can have it fixed. Also have the diff breather checked to see if it's venting or plugged.
when you say screw up the pinion bering do you reffer to not adjusting the pre load properly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts